Firing Blanks?

russell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How do I know if my male axy is fertile or not, he keeps doing his stuff in the tank, but i havent seen the "dance" where he leads her round the tank.

Ever since he started "laying" my female axy has been in her tube and wont come out.

They both are roughly 9 inches long - but the male is a lot lighter in body and is shorter in height!

Any help would be appreciated, thankyou

Russell

It's possible that he's doing his thing, but the female simply isn't ready. If she doesn't have eggs that are somewhere near being ready to lay, then his spermatophores aren't going to do any good. If she's not courting, I would guess she just isn't "into it" right now.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back