Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Bacterial or fungal disease? Please help, they look horrible

ruffian

Reaction score
:confused: Bacterial or fungal disease?
Hello, I have detected a quite serious - looking disease on my axolotls; they did not have any problem on the day before yesterday, they ate very well (tubifex),but yesterday, many little, white, protruding white dots have appeared on the leucistic one and today, they appeared also on the wild type.
This disease appeared surprisingly sudden on them.
I took both axies into methylene-blue bath but still do not know whether it is a fungal or bacterial illness....
I enclose a picture here (converted with paint program...), as I did not have time to take photos of them, but they look like this animal on that pic:
PLEASE HELP, I AM QUITE :mad:WORRIED ABOUT THEM...

Attachments

• illaxolotl.JPG
    illaxolotl.JPG
    23.3 KB · Views: 567

ruffian

Reaction score
Oh, I almost have forgotten: as the temperature is high (26 C) in the tank, I am sure that their
immune system became weaker...
But they were not ill during more than 3 years.
I try to make their water colder but in vain

kapo

Reaction score
Have you tested your tankwater for ammonia, nitrite and nitrates?

Do they have any other tank companions, that haven't been quarantined, that you've added recently that may have effected them?

How much doseage of meth blue did you use? You have to be careful using fish medicines with axolotls as most are toxic to axolotls and in effect can cause more harm than good.

You have to cool their tank down below 22C at least, if you're unable to, it might be an idea to put them into the fridge. Here are some cooling methods: http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cooling.shtml

Last edited:

kapo

Reaction score
Looking at the picture you edited doesn't really give anyone a clear idea/picture of the problem. Are you able to take a photo of your axolotl/s and post a picture please?

Are the spots raised, do they look like grey/white fuzzy spots or like little blisters?

ruffian

Reaction score
I took some photos - I signed the spots with red arrows.
They get much better after a 48 hour long methylene blue bath!
They are very hungry, some spots have remained on them but i continue
the treatmetn combined with salt bath.
This stuff may not be toxic in low measure: 25 drops/5 liter

Attachments

• fórumba.JPG
    fórumba.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 1,711
  • ok.jpg
    ok.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 338

ruffian

Reaction score
Sorry, the other picture:

Attachments

• fórumba.JPG
    fórumba.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 322
  • ez is jó.jpg
    ez is jó.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 510

kapo

Reaction score
Have you tested their tankwater?

And, have you managed to cool their tankwater down?

These things may have been what caused the spots to develop, ie water quality and temperature.

Do they have any other tank companions and what is the size/length of the tank and how often do you do waterchanges?

Do you add any other water chemicals other than one to treat tapwater to remove chlorine and chloramines?

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
This might be a bit of a long shot, but does your axolotl get any natural light on them, maybe its some sign of a deficiancy. I've had a few reptiles in the past and some showed similar symptoms, it was when they where moved into a different location where they received sunlight they started to recover. It happened twice with two different types of amphibian and while it may be coincedence ( terrible speller!) it could be something to do with sunlight/ vitamin d absorbtion... It may be worth a try, but do watch the temperature though, you don't want to stress them more by over heating them . All the best.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1