Paddle Tail Newt

MarinesGirl21

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've had my newt for 2 years. Before I got him, I hardly new what a newt was. He's been living fine. But now all the sudden he has this amorphous impression (gash) that looks foamy (dry) white. Looks like someone imprinted him with a cookie cutter! What the heck is it? It formed fast...like overnight!

It's hard to tell from your description what is going on. Does it look like a cut? White and fuzzy like fungus? On what part of his body?

It looks like his tail is like rotting off or something. It is literally like eating away at his tail and spreading!

My computer will NOT let me post a pic on here. If anyone thinks they can tell me what it is give me your e-mail and I'll send it via e-mail. I need to know ASAP!

Last edited:
Here are Samantha's photos:

It's not a traditional sore by any means - looks like the top layer of skin has peeled off or eaten away. Have you tested for ammonia? I would move him to a basic hospital setup with dechlorinated water in the meantime.

Attachments

• IMG_0775.JPG
    IMG_0775.JPG
    167.2 KB · Views: 998
  • IMG_0776.JPG
    IMG_0776.JPG
    134.9 KB · Views: 886
Pieces of his tail are coming off now :(
I have some left over Mardel brand Maracyn for Fin, and Tail Rot, Popeye and "Body Fungus" for my old fish...is that safe for newts and could that help the rotting or fungus?
Active ingredients are 200 mg erythromycin.

He had slight white patches several weeks ago, and i got him a "Dr. Turtle" and then it went away. Now within two days its back and bad as ever!

I think he may have just died....
I was lifting him to isolate him and he was a little bloated and stiff, reacted a little, and now nothing. *tears*

what a horrible week. First my hamster croaks outta no where...then my fiance is looking at getting medically discharged from the Marine Corps...and now my best buddy Ike the newt (my friend for 2 years 1 month and 14 days) died. *sigh*

Thanks for all the help though guys.

--Samantha

Last edited:
I'm sorry that Ike died. May he rest in peace. Its always hard to lose a friend (that goes for animals too).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back