Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What is your funniest moments?

clairey85

Reaction score
:D I have a funny story... hehe well I was hand feeding Maurice little strips of kidney and instead of biting the kidney ( he was in his log at the time so i couldn't see much.) he latched onto my middle finger,and started to sort of suck on it...
and it gave me such a fright- of course it doesnt hurt because they dont have sharp teeth...- that I let out a yelp of surprise and I jumped backwards.
At the same time, maurice realised my finger wasnt food either and he swam top speed out of his log all the way to the other side of the tank!
To top it all off, my good friend was watching the whole thing and crying herself in laughter at the expression on my face and at how fast he swam! it was a true kodak moment :eek: :tongue:

And I am still laughing about it today! hahahaah
So what are your stories? :D

russell

Reaction score
I gave my biggest axolotl a massive cricket the other day, in the usual way with a pair of tongs, this was no ordinary sized cricket, it was huge and very wriggly, so anyway she comes out of her flower pot and grabs this cricket in one huge bite.
The next thing i know she is zooming round the tank at a hundred miles an hour acting like she had a wasp in her mouth she even erupted from the surface a couple of times. After this bizarre behaviour she settled back into her pot - very odd

G

Guydyon

Yesterday, mine jumped up for an air bubble, and right away dived andsat down very quietly in the bottom. Then he burped.

Thale

Reaction score
When we first got Tehanu, Claudio was hand feeding her and she bit his finger along with the food... he was startled and jumped away from the tank, but Tehanu didn't let go of Claudio's finger! when she realized she was out of the water she let go... luckily Claudio's finger was still over the tank so she didn't fall on the floor ^^

tashie7161

Reaction score
Lol well Axel is a strange little boy, i got him when he was about an inch, hes been with me for 3 weeks and is like 3 inches now :) he is quite a shy little axie and he was on live food at first and then i tried him on non-live bloodworm, and he obv. prefers me to wiggle it about which i do, but he drops lots of little pieces, after hes had his main bulk he then looks at the little bits he has left and pounces them to make them move, when i say pounce he like shoots up about 1-2cm just enough for the food to go up n then he catches it in his mouth! lol however my girlie who is a month older is very fussy and only eats he food if she can see the tweezers near it. lol

clairey85

Reaction score
lol
and people reckon axies look weird and are boring *shakes head*

i swear they have their own personalities!!!

lol :p

Sharron

Axolotl Enthusiast
Reaction score
While my daughter and I were moving Sylabub's (axie mum) eggs to another tank and away from Mum and Dad, on the weekend, Sylabub watched with interest. When we were nearly done, Sylabub swam up to my daughters hand and pushed her head into her finger, which prompted my daughter to gently rub. Sylabub responded by arching her whole body and pushed harder into her finger.. when she moved her hand away Sylabub would gently nip her until she got another pat....

We both laughed as it seemed to be the same thing our cats do. We have always hand fed Orpheus and Sylabub and now each time we feed them Sylabub comes looking for her pat.

So cute

:rofl:

A Kilpatrick

Reaction score
we put about 10 feeder fish into the tank with terrance last night. i watched him hiding behind his castle and sussing out the new additions.
he slowly crept up to them so he wasnt noticed. when the fish noticed him and started swimming away he swam off and hid again.
as soon as i switched the lights off in the room, i heard terrance splashing about. the lights went back on and he was just sitting there looking all innocent.
anyway when i woke up this morning and checked on him, i found out that he had eaten 7 fish!!!! :eek:
well now the final 3 has to last him a while cos he ate most of his "treats" in one night :p:D:talker:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1