Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

what newts get along with paddle tails?

koala

Asian Newt Group
Reaction score
I was wondering what other kinds of newt can go with paddle tails?

Abrahm

Reaction score
Simply put: none. Paddle-tails are extremely aggressive newts and will not usually coexist with others of its own species in captivity. If you had a really large, 36"x12" footprint tank, with plenty of hides you may be able to house two paddle-tails.

Other species are never recommended. Newts often come from dramatically different environments and can carry different pathogens which they may transfer amongst themselves which can lead to death. Some newts have differing behaviors or habitat preferences that eliminate them as being able to cohabitate. Check out the species mixing disaster article for more anecdotal evidence of this.

koala

Asian Newt Group
Reaction score
Yeah, I know. Right now I wouldn't even think about getting another newt, but I'm just thinking about later on down the road when I might get a lot bigger tank. Thanks for the tips.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Someone recently described paddletails as "the pitbulls of the newt world" (thanks to whoever it was that I'm borrowing from). This is one species that you really can't trust with any other animal.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!