attraction of axolotls

koala

Asian Newt Group
Reaction score
Country
United States
No offense or anything, but what is the attraction of owning an axolotl? To me it seems like it would be a lot to clean up after and you'd need a HUGE tank (which would be really expensive).

some people like to own cats, others dogs, those who like rats, mice and whatever else people think of so why not axolotls. they dont take that much to look after.:D

Yeah, you're right, but I guess what I'm saying is that you don't get much affection from an axolotl like you would from a cat or dog, and also you can't really pet them or anything. But I can still see why people enjoy looking after them.

i pet and hand feed mine. they have a personality of their own. once you get to know them its like any other pet.

Yes, I guess it just depends on what you're interested in.

Cats and dogs give affection because that's how they survive. That's their programming. If it makes them a better pet, that's totally down to the human perspective and anthropomorphism. There's a certain honesty about a tiger salamander or an axolotl lunging for the food you drop in, or when it walks up and down inside its tank watching you - it's after food, not your love, and it makes no secret of it - it doesn't try to bond with you in order to get you to help it survive, it just wants the food. And it won't get hair everywhere or scratch your furniture or stink up your house with its urine.

Don't get me wrong, I am a big fan of some dogs (the non yappy little ones). But due to some bad experiences, with a very few exceptions I have no time for cats.

No offence taken,

Its all down to personal choice. I have bred children as well as axies one hates onion, one hates pumpkin, one won't eat chicken and one is a vegetarian. I don't force them to eat what they don't like, maybe they have a valid reason maybe they just don't like the taste.

Over simplified? perhaps but I think your question may well be rhetorical.

I don't think owning an axie is a huge attraction, percentage wise axie owners worldwide would be a significant minority of pet owners.

In Australia the Opossum is a protected national icon similar in status to the Koala in New Zealand Opossums are considered as noxious pests.

Children require much bigger tanks and make way more mess.

After all it does take all colours to make a rainbow.

Get an axie keep it for a year and then your question may well be answered.

No offense or anything, but what is the attraction of owning an axolotl? To me it seems like it would be a lot to clean up after and you'd need a HUGE tank (which would be really expensive).

a 20 gallon long tank is far from HUGE :)

I have kept many animals as pets through the years and axolotl is by far not the messiest. smelly little furry mammals that poop all over are way more messy(and stinky).

I dunno, to me axolotl is the "easiest" pet I have had so far, and I have had my first axolotl for over 4 years already. Plus, they have the "what the heck is that thing" factor. Also, they can regenerate limbs and such. Also, I find their immune system fascinating, yes I read scientific journals dealing with axolotl for fun.

A big draw to me is that there is almost no way my pet axolotl is wild-caught, because pet axolotls have a lineage of being in human care about 100 years.

I hand feed mine, which is very interactive, and they often have us in fits of laughter as they float, or play with air bubbles. They cuddle each other, and they follow us around the tank smiling. They don't take an enormous amount of work (now that that the tank has cycled), and we feel like we get back WAY more than we put in. I have had a dog for years (he is like my child), I still think the axies are fabulous. The money we have spent on them is because we WANT to (live plants, cool looking rocks, places to hide etc) , not because they were things the axies needed...but it has had the effect of making us hang over the couch to watch them (instead of "right" way round watching the tv). Definitely a matter of preference though...

Click..I was going to answer on the same line as you, but far less elequently.. I too have (3) children, 2 pesky cats ( hubbies choice..prefer to have had my grey hound , but along came no.3) and I find the axolotl by far the most interesting of pets.. and I have had a fair few going back into the dark ( or is it light) ages. As any pet keeping/ owning goes its really a case of horses for courses.

Neat conversation. I actually teach science in middle school and just got my first axolotls a few months ago. I'm excited for the whole evolution component. Some several thousand (million?) years ago, tiger salamanders in Mexico found a few lakes in the mountains. The lake habitat rocked compared to the arid land so those who gave up a terrestrial lifestyle stuck it out in the lakes and evolved into axolotls. The truly amazing thing is this mutation happened in several separate lakes that had the same selective pressures. Sometimes it is hard to see evolutionary events like how birds evolved from other reptiles or marine mammals came from horse-like terrestrial animals. We don't see the "missing links" and so much time has passed since the events. With axolotls, the events, (evolutionarily speaking) JUST happened. AND IT HAPPENED MORE THAN ONCE! Given more time, they'd probably end up more like sirens and amphiumas, but they are just barely in the water again. Heck, it’s such a fickle mutation I guess you can still induce metamorphosis in them with hormones. It is pretty amazing if you ask me. Cats and dogs are just cats and dogs. Axolotls are snapshots in evolution that everybody keeps whining don't exist. They are fantastic even though they don’t poop on the rug!

I keep axolotls because the only word that I can ever think of to describe them to people who haven't seen one is "amazing".

They are strangely human-like in my opinion, and they make an excellent conversation piece.

I hate most dogs, goldfish, and most hamsters because they have been cross bred to be so different from their wild ancestors that it sickens me.

Axolotls on the other hand have been in captivity for over a century, and if you were to compare them to a wild caught individual, you'd still be able to see that they are clearly the same species.

Axolotls don't have strings of saliva that fling every where when they shake their heads. You don't have to clean up outdoor messes. You never even need to let them outside to do their business.

I have about 80 adult/sub adult axolotls in my basement, and I wouldn't trade most of them for the world.

As far as a needing a huge tank and a lot of clean up....
It might be useful to you to know that in labs they keep adult axolotls in 1 gallon squat fishbowls and change the water regularly. I keep mine in groups of 6-9 (depending on size) in 55 gallon tanks and 25% water changes every week, sometimes twice a week, and I do a 100% waterchange twice to three times a year. If that is your idea of a lot of cleanup, then maybe you shouldn't keep pets, because they aren't high maintenance.

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, how big of tank would you need for one axolotl? I'm not thinking about getting one myself or anything, my tank is obviously way too small for one.

Currently I have cockateils (same age as me !!) 3axolotls a cat 2 tortoises 3 CFN and 2 rats (one hairless). I have had all sorts in the past and have only had one not worth having (a psycho chipmunk that mauled my hand SOOOO many scars). Axies cannot bite I am not allergic to them they interact with me (follow my finger from one side of the tank to the other get excited all be it for food when I am around and sit happily on my hand if I put it in the water they do not meow/screach/scurry all day and night.. look pretty.. dont poo where they arnt supposed to are a good ice breaker easy to look after (not requiring uv light calcium suppliment etc like the tortoises) they are definatly the best all rounder pet. The tortoises come a close second to the newts (they can make annoying bumping noises as all they do is hump all day but they are really friendly homer runs up to the door when I get home he loves to have his chin scratched) rats where bought to stop being snake food and cat was going to be put down :( as a breeder did not want her any more. I first saw an axie when I was about 12 two adult leustics in a pet shop with a land/water set up labelled giant newts I remembered them always saying I will have some when I am older second time I saw one bought it there and then (10 years later) under the name axolotl put it in my TROPICAL bio orb with my 3 guppies for all of 2 hrs when I looked them up and realised THAT WAS WRONG (in oh so many ways) and have never looked back. I will not be replacing the fluffy kitty birds or rats when they are gone so they must be decent pets.

moider over

20 gallon long tanks seem to be the average generous size for one adult. axolotl.org has all sorts of information dealing with housing and lots of other things if you do concider getting one or just interseted in good general care information. If you havn't been to that site check it out. there is even an axolotl caresheet on caudata culture website.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back