Herbies unwell again

herbieandbonnie

Reaction score
Country
Australia
well something is wrong with herbie again.. his water is reading fine so theres no problems there... and he has no gravel in his tank.. the last day he has been doing circles and trying to attack his bottom and has been keeping close to the top of the tank.. i have put him back in the fridge!!! was that the wrong thing to do??? can anyone help? :(

Hi Herbie and Bonnie,

I won't even hazzard a guess at the butt attacking, i'll leave that to the experts.

I do know that there is no harm in fridging in fact the colder temperatures can help to destress as otheres will tell you keep a bottle of dechlorinated water in the fridge as well so you can do water changes with the same temperature water.

Heat can also cause some weird antics, Have you checked the tank water temp?
I'm in N.Z. its winter and its cold down here I am guessing you guys across the ditch will be a bit chilly too but maybe not.

Is he Bloated, did he come from a tank with gravel before you got him, it can take a while to pass an impaction. Fridging can help this process to.

Hope you get the information you need.

Cheers and good luck

Click

water temp is ok and is at between 13 -15 degrees.. he hasnt stopped chasing his bottom as it he does circles in his container in the fridge.. hes not bloated he had trouble a couple of weeks ago but he came good.. his tank is now bare with just a tube in it for him to hide in.. and his filter...

Sounds Like you are doing the right things, I know it sounds whack but 5 days in the fridge will not harm him and if he does have an impaction it will help him pass it. Have a look at some other threads chances are you may find an answer there.

There will be some one here who will have the right advice or recognise the symptom.

Good luck

i have three axie adults but only one exhibits the symptoms you are describing that is my male leucistic with mine it normally means he needs to poo once he has he settles down again.
yours hopefully is just the same.
goodluck

That can often be a sign of irritation - do you ever see any very very tiny worms in the tank or on the glass?

nope no worms at all in the tank... something tells me herbie hasnt been well since i have got him.. i dont think he is going to last much longer although i will never lose hope!!!

What are you offering? Try pinkie mice, waxworms.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back