Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Neurergus kaiseri warm tolerance

Alexiy

Reaction score
Hi...I wondering about such a question. As i've learned from different resources, Neuregus kaiseri is a whimsical animal and keeping of this newt, as for me, is difficult because of low temperatures in which it must be hold. But many sellers and shops, which hold these newts for sale, try to assure people that this species is more tolerant and can be kept up to 27 C. So what about my question, can I keep this newt, if I have my homemade chiller which is able to brought temperature only to 24 C in summer? And of course how long can it take warm conditions if the chiller would be broken, for example?

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There are a few keepers who are successfully keeping this species and you may be lucky enough for one to spot this thread and reply with some details. A handful of keepers have bred them in captivity this year – from what I remember Alan Cann gave his a good winter cooling down to 5C. I would be very surprised if they thrived at 27C.

But many sellers and shops, which hold these newts for sale, try to assure people that this species is more tolerant and can be kept up to 27 C

The saddest part of this is not that the shop gives potentially bad advice but that many (!?) people are selling these newts, presumably wild caught. Not good news for a species close to the brink of extinction.

ajc

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
My kaiseri routinely reach 25C in summer (not 24 hours a day, just at peak). I wouldn't be too worried about them reaching 27C for a short period if they were not stressed by anything else. It seems that a reasonably large yearly temperature variation similar to what they experience in their natural range is important in breeding.

Alexiy

Reaction score
It is also very sad to see when our pet market, especially in spring and summer, are swarming with this species. I have no idea where do they really get this newts but I suppose that most of them are smuggled animals. And the most strange thing in all of it that there is no any other species offered for sale (except Spanish ribbed newts) As to Neurergus this newt became available in pet shops only last year. So when I’ve decided to keep a newt I had not such a big choice…Anyway, thank you for your reply, I should think better before I’ll try to keep this species in captivity.

Alexiy

Reaction score
The worst thing is that the temperature keeps up to 27 C for the whole day. The best way to avoid such a warm conditions is to keep the cooler working 24/7. But it is not very comfortable because of it loud work.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1