FBN with swollen mouth

MaDsci

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
MaDsci
Hi, I just got 4 FBN today and they all seemed fine when I rescued them from the pet shop but when I got home to examine them more closely, I found out that one of the females has a swollen mouth. It looks like the swollen part may be her tongue or something which casues her to be unable to close her mouth fully and enlarge her mouth. any help?

Does it look like a tumor on the lower jaw? I know a girl on the forum who has one with the same problem if it does.

Well, I have a cynops orientalis (fbn) with a tumor on its mouth. At this point the tumor hasn't changed for almost two years and my newt eats fine and acts healthy. However, since your newts are newly aquired the condition yours is in my not be the same. Back when mine first developed the tumor I took it to the vet and he prescribed some kind of antibiotic (if I remember right) for the infection that accompanied the tumor. (that may not be worth it to you because I believe I paid $65 for a $7 newt!)
If your newt is eating fine than I would separate it from the others in case it has something contagious and just watch it to see if good conditions will improve things. If what it has on it's mouth does not allow it to eat than you may need to consider other options which I will let someone with more experience tell you. -or check out the caudata culture area where there is a lot of other info. http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/illness.shtml - this might be a good read for you too.

yea, I only paid $2.50 for that one little newt so I guess I should just let mother nature take its role and hope for the best.

Being that it's a new newt from a pet shop, it's likely to be bacterial stomatitis (in other words, infection of the mouth). If so, it would need to be treated aggressively with antibiotics. For a $2.50 newt, I doubt that you're going to be rushing it to a vet. I would suggest quarantining it from the others, as it can be contagious.

Sadly, pet shop newts arrive with an array of nasty infections. The export/import and retail process are hard on them, and the majority die. Sad.

Can you get a photo of the newt's mouth?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back