Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Obsessed Axolotl by ignorance!

Hofnarr

Reaction score
Hello @ all,
I has got an Axolotl in care 1 ½ weeks ago. I opened the transport box and it hit me hard. The animal had completely lost weight. I have never seen such a thing! The owners have the Axolotl for 4 weeks and have got him already so thin. The zoo trader has given them only wrong information. He said, Axolotl is no matter it at which temperatures it in the water swims. The owners have held together him in a tank with fishing. The fish have bitten off to him the gills. At home I have put him in a quarantine tank (I had already prepared). Because he was starved obviously, I have started to feed carefully on chicken liver. Unfortunately, his liver does not work any more properly, his excrement was white. He got cramps and I thought he will die. Today is he is already much better. He has no more cramps.

He gots cramps:
Axi_rueckenII.jpg

No more gills:
AxieIII.jpg

He is so thin, that you could see his bone!!!
AxieVII.jpg

Today: He looks a little bit better:
Axitag9b.jpg

niajetze

Reaction score
he is still seems in a bad way but hopefully he will get better have you tried feeding him cut up earthworms ( not too much at first) I find blood worms are their favorites and maybe some live shrimp will awaken his appetite? have you tried lowering the water level to help with the breathing his gill are so small :( what temperature are you keeping him at?

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Poor little mite, but well done for keeping it alive. It looks like it'll need frequent small feeds on small earth worm as Niajetze suggests , make sure the water is below19/20 degrees and that the water quality is good. This site has a lot of imformation which will help, I think your priority is to make sure its stressed as little as posiible and fed 2-3 small meals a day, and fingers and toes crossed it'll start ti improove. All the best.

g_k

Reaction score
the one i rescued last week looks the same except its missing limbs. so far its passed 12 stones and put a bit of weight on. hope yours does as well.

Sharron

Axolotl Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Hofnarr

I hope she is ok, she is so cute. Good luck and keep us upto date on her progress.

I have started to educate the aquarium that I am going to sell my baby axies to before they get them.
They have already taken the little bit of information I have learned here and changed the tanks and environments for their existing Axies (stones gone, nice fine grave/sand) food, and more cavey type place for them to feel secure. I have also given them this web address to be able to pass on more reliable information to stop this from happening

Its a start

Anyway Goodluck, I look forward to your posts

Sharron

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1