Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

my small setup

koala

Asian Newt Group
Reaction score
Here are some pics of my small paddletail setup. This will probably be just temporary (it's only 12" by 7", hopefully I can find a cheap bigger tank.

I've made some changes since I took these pics, now there is aquarium gravel (as you can see in the last picture), and instead of the rock I have an aquarium decoration that looks like a bell that he can hide in. I also have a filter in the back right corner, too. What do you think?

Attachments

• newt_tank.JPG
    newt_tank.JPG
    11.7 KB · Views: 1,326
  • newt_tank2.JPG
    newt_tank2.JPG
    12.2 KB · Views: 413
  • newt_tank3.JPG
    newt_tank3.JPG
    12.4 KB · Views: 360
  • chucky.JPG
    chucky.JPG
    8.9 KB · Views: 358

MelanieK

Reaction score
Looks nice for a temp home. I am pretty new to this but have to wonder if the gravel could pose some risk? I keep reading about various creatures on this forum getting impacted after ingesting gravel. I had gravel in my set up, but replaced it with larger smooth stones after reading about impactions.
Whenever I have to do a total clean of the tank I plan to remove the stone as well. I think it will just hide wastes that should be removed. I plan to cover the outside bottom of the tank with something resembling the bottom of a stream or pond. Some type of aquarium backing ought to do.
Will you be filtering the water, or are you planning to do very frequent water changes?

koala

Asian Newt Group
Reaction score
I'll be filtering it, I just bought a little filter and attached it to the tank. To me the gravel seems too big for my paddletail's mouth, but maybe I'll change to big smooth stones, too. They're easier to clean anyway.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Regardless of what filter you have, that tank is VERY small, and you'll still probably need to do at least twice-weekly water changes. You've also provided no hiding spots for the animal.

koala

Asian Newt Group
Reaction score
He likes to hide in his bell aquarium decoration.

Abrahm

Reaction score
What is that bell decoration? It looks like a piece of lava or tufa rock. Rock like this is very abrasive and I would be worried about putting it in with a newt. It could injure their skin. Either way, the bell doesn't really provide a proper hide. It should be something more completely enclosed, so that the newt can feel more protected, more surrounded.

You should follow Kaysie's advice on frequent water maintenance. This is an awfully small tank that needs pretty constant attention.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!