Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Injured floating newt

BigFish

Reaction score
Hello,
I have an injured newt and I dont know what to do with it. It has a distinct bulge on one side, just in front of its hind leg that I think is full of air as it doesn't seem to be able to properly submerge. Aside from that it seems fit and healthy. Is there anyway to fix this? Or will it fix itself?

Many thanks

Dave

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
When you say it is "injured", do you have some reason to think it was hurt somehow? Or could this be a disease arising purely from internal causes?

How long have you had the newt? What species is it? Does it have tankmates? In order to have a clue what might be going on, a lot more information is needed? Tell us everything you can that might be relevant.

As a first aid measure, I would suggest putting the newt into a setting where it can float comfortably. This would be either a very shallow temporary setup, or a re-arrangement of its tank so that it has resting places near the surface (submerged island and/or floating plants to sit on).

BigFish

Reaction score
Hello,

Sorry for the scrappy post. Anyhow, It is a wild European (found in the UK) newt that I found in my pond. It was sitting on the surface and tried to wiggle away but kept bobbing to the surface as if it couldnt submerge properly. I caught it to stop the cat munching on it.

It runs around quite happily on land but has a really noticable balloon-like bulge on one side of its body. When I put it in a shallow pot of water it swims around normally but won't walk around on the pot bottom, its back end will float to the surface, (with the bulge side up-most) while its front legs scrabble on the pot bottom.

I realise that that probobly isnt enough to go on and its not your usual kind of newt problem but I'm a propper hippy at heart!

Thanks

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1