New friends

G

Guydyon

Hi

I have 3 axies and they always got along well. At some point there was a considerable difference in size (10-15 cm) and there was no problem.
Now, I saw at the store some very cute Iberian ribbed newt (Pleurodeles waltl). Do you think there will be no problem if I will put them in the same tank? And will they need some place to rest out of water?

And also, one of them was missing a leg. Will it grow back, like an axie, or will I have to call him Three Legged Jimmy?

I suspect it'll be a bad idea as axolotl are renowned for eating anything that they can get into their mouths( mine attempt to eat fingers).
I have lately been looking at newts as I am really enjoying my axolotl, but when and if I get some i'll be keeping them well away from each other in a seperate tank ( the old axolotl tank). I would do a little more research, and try to resist jumping in ( like me who is avoiding all pet stores/ aquatic shops etc!!) All the best

Last edited by a moderator:
No, you cannot put these in the same tank. Pleurodeles are known as spanish ribbed newts for a reason. They can easily push their ribs through their skin and impale anything that tries to eat them.

Also, they eat anything that moves, so the axolotls would be a snack.

It's a bad idea to mix species no matter what their setup. Even 100% terrestrial species and 100% aquatic species should never be kept in the same tank.

Thanks
I guess Ill give up the idea, at least until I can afford another tank.

No, you cannot put these in the same tank. Pleurodeles are known as spanish ribbed newts for a reason. They can easily push their ribs through their skin and impale anything that tries to eat them.

Also, they eat anything that moves, so the axolotls would be a snack.

It's a bad idea to mix species no matter what their setup. Even 100% terrestrial species and 100% aquatic species should never be kept in the same tank.

I agree the Spanish ribbed newt is the largest european newt growing between 20-30cm and the one I kept had a very big mouth.

With that being said, Pleurodeles are awesome 'pet' caudates, very outgoing.

And there was me thinking the axolotl would be doing the eating!

i have both and although my newt is tiny now its very agressive towards anything that might be food. when i walk past or look at the tank he does a little jigg to get my attention in the hopes i will feed him lol

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back