Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

There is hope! (fasting CFB)

kittski

Reaction score
Just thought I'd make an encouraging post for all those with a similar problem. I have a CFB that hasn't gone near the water or eaten since the day I got him 8-10 weeks ago. He normally recoils at the sign of any food, especially anything that moves. He is a rack of bones and I came back here to research the most humane way to euthanize him.

In the last few days, I've noticed he's moved into a little shallow pool at the top of the tank; it's the first movement he's really made. A few minutes ago I was out hunting for Gordita, the other newt, and found a tiny worm. Like every other feeding day, I placed it near the poor scrawny guy but this time he cocked his head instead of recoiling! He got that worm down in one gulp so I added a pile of bloodworms, it went down too!

I'm so excited to think he may have turned the corner after all this time! I don't know what changed except my contemplating euthanasia. (No one told me they can read our minds lol!) If you have a fasting newt, be patient and give them plenty of time to come around :)

newtsrfun

Reaction score
nice! useally they can come around, the biggest problem is getting them to de-stress first, and then get them to eat, most people thrust food in their face untill the newt collapses.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Great story, Alicia, thanks for posting it. I think what brought him around was the small live worm. If every new owner of a newt had a source of small live earthworms, there would be a lot fewer newt fatalities in this world!

Be careful not to feed the newt too much too soon. He needs small meals until he re-adjusts to eating again. I've been told by a reliable source that a huge meal after near-starvation can actually kill an animal.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Boy, and I thought I had the patience of a saint for offering them food daily for about two weeks before mine (T. grans) ate!

Cizza

Reaction score
Great story man very pleased to hear hes eating!
:)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1