Hi to all from a new member

Rod Black

Reaction score
Country
England
Hi to all,

I am a new member, I have been lurking for a while reading old threads.
I will be obtaining some Axie’s shortly (wild type); these I am reliably informed have been breed in Czechoslovakia.
Having read quite a lot here, it is apparent that there is a great deal of combined experience with much sound advice being freely given.
This is good, as I have found quite a bit of conflicting information………… even on University sites.
Please excuse me in advance for asking obvious questions in the coming weeks.

Best regards

Rod

Welcome Rod, I have dipped into many sites and this one has been far the most imformative , there always seems to be someone to answer questions, how ever silly they mat seem( I Have posted a few!). I now spend a fair ammount of time reading the new threads and old just to learn as much as possible, I like to be prepared!. I have had my two a since April , I have a wild type male and a juvenile gold that I suspect is female, I was lucky enough to have picked these up from their previous owner. I am now addicted to the little critters as they are pretty amazing.
I would make a point on looking at the tank set ups , water qualities etc so you have pretty much every thing ready . I thought I had and then went mad and added more sand and plants and ended up needing to re-cycle the tank..weeks of partial daily water changes and the worry of potentially harming the axolotl!. Tests for nitrite , nitrate and ammonia are very useful..the nitrite one I do weekly , the others once a month now, unless I am worried about something not seeming quite right.
At the end of the day, any doubts just ask away! there is always some one to help.

hi rod
the only way we all learn is by asking and this is definately the place for it
when i got my axies my boyfriend thought they were newts and we were totally ignorant
without this site and johns axolotl site would have been totally lost so ask away.
all questions get answered eventually lol

You should get axolotls from a local source (there are PLENTY of people in the UK breeding them right now). This will save on shipping, stress, and maybe legality. I don't know the EU rules and whatnot, but axolotls are CITES appendix II, and cannot be shipped internationally.

Hi Kaysie, I should have perhaps explained in greater detail, the Axie’s are already in the UK, but were I am told breed/raised in Czechoslovakia (they should be around 5” 125mm).
I have a long-standing relationship with the vendor and so am happy with the way in which they conduct their business and subsequently the quality of the stock they sell.
I do not believe that they would knowingly deceive or mislead me as to their origins.

Bellabelloo, I have looked in to tank set-up.
The tank I propose to use is 400 Litres 1500x450x600mm, it currently has a gravel substrate which I will change for sand /flat river pebbles 50-100mm dia x 10mm thick. It has a lot of old bogwood with plants/ferns covering large areas.
It is filtered by a slow flowing wet/dry sump filter & a fluidised bed filter. The sump holds around 50 Litres. Water chemistry is very stable, temp low 20’s – Ph 7.5 – Nitrate 10-20ppm, the system on this tank has been running for over 6 years.
I will try to take some photos tomorrow.

Thank you all for the warm welcome.

Looks like you know what your doing with the tank!..look forward to see the set up as I am about to start up a larger tank for my two. Its always good to see what every one does.

As promised here is a photo of the tank I am thinking of using, note the gravel will be removed and replaced with coarse sand.

400LTank.jpg

Rod

Last edited:
Welcome to the community, I hope you're not falling victim to the floods.

welcome!

Welcome here!

-No question is a stupid one-

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back