mystery eggs in paddletail tank

careena0402

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i bought a paddle tail newt two days ago and she has escaped already. lucky i found her and put her back in her tank. today i have checked on her and made sure there are no more escape routes for her (using tape round the edge of the lid). whilst doing so i noticed a clump of white bubbles on the side of the tank which after abit of research i found out to be her eggs. i have read up a little on how to care for them but i just wondered if any one had any ideas or suggestions as she is my 1st newt and i didnt expect eggs 2 days after buying her.

I have a feeling those aren't eggs but I would like to see photos. You do realise that this is the axolotl section?

no they dont look like those. im trying to get a pic of them on here but cant work out how to do it, will get them up asap. theese eggs (if thats what they are) are in a tight group, very small, hard and off white in colour. if they are not newts eggs then have you any idea what they are???? im well stuck.

were they laid above or below the surface of the water?

Do you have any snails in the tank?

Ed

i had to make a website so you can veiw pic there as i cant get them on here
site is called:-
careena0402.piczo.com
visit that and you can see pic. not very clear though so will try and get a better one when i can and yes i have got snails.
the eggs were above water right by the lid of my tank.

Well, those most certainly are not paddle-tail newt eggs. They do not lay their eggs above the water and they don't have that pinkish cast to them. I would assume they are snail eggs but I would have no way of knowing that.

Snails of the apple snail type lay thier eggs above the water line (this includes mystery snails) and these eggs often have a pinkish cast to them.
They are snail eggs.

Ed

ok thank you has any1 got any ideas how to look after them or should i just leave them there

I would suggest not raising them. If you have snail eggs, that means you've already got plenty of snails.

all i know is if the eggs go below the water line they die you might want to make sure you want these fellows before you hatch them apple snails have trap doors which can damage newts/ axies (at least when they are bigger but when smaller can make a nice snack) size is an issue as if big small enough to eat but to big to pass the shell could leave you with an amphib with a serious stomach ache (there is also the possibility of choking)

ok will take them out as they have fallen off the glass and into the water so from what you say they r dead now any way. ive only got two snails and my newt whent to have a taste and the snail closed up wiv my newt's head inside so she has her own (escape free) tank now so she has no worries of getting hurt or any of my other fish being nibbled. thanks for every1s help on this was very helpful!!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back