Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Yellow, slimy thing

G

Guydyon

Hi,
My axies have some sort of yellow slime hanging from under their gills. It looks like some sort of dirty, maybe dead, fungus. I some times try to take it with some tweezers, but just bits come out. Besides, bits are falling out all the time, but the thing doesn't seem to disappear.
It doesn't seem to bother them, they look healthy and, in spite of being in the fridge (also because of the terrible weather around here, close to 40C), they have good appetite.

Any hints? Thanks.

G

Guydyon

I wouldn't say so, it's only under the gills and on both sides, all three of them. But maybe.
Why do they shed skin, and when?

Ed

Reaction score
They shed thier skin fairly frequently and its possible what you are seeing are pieces of skin that have not fallen away or come loose. As with other amphibians, they shed thier skin to grow and to replace skin cells that die.

There is another possibility. What are you water conditions? pH, ammonia, nitrite and temperatures?

Ed

G

Guydyon

Water temperature is between around 8C, since they have been in the fridge. Amonia, nitrite and nitrate, I don't know at the moment, but they should be ok, since I replace water everyday. The pH of tapwater is kind of low, in this area, but nothing serious. Maybe it could be from saltbathes They've been doing until some days ago, because I thought it was fungus?

Ed

Reaction score
If something is stressing the axolotl then the axololt may have responded by increasing its mucous coat production but I suspect that it may simply be shed skin. If you can place some under a microscope and take a peek.
Ed

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!