Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Site Down Saturday/Sunday 28th/29th July

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know why it was down and why it's still having problems. I do know that it is unrelated to any previous issues - this one's new. I believe it's something to do with the hosting computer but I honestly don't know what the problem is. I apologise for the downtime - I will post when I hear more from the hosting company.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Problems are resolved for the moment. I am trying to work with the hosting company to find the problem. I honestly don't think it's on our end.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Well, thankfully it's back. I was starting to go through withdrawals.

Ed

Reaction score
I had an insomnia attack last night and was checking the site every 30 minutes or so to see if it had come back on line (until about 3 am my time).

Ed

Jake

Reaction score
I'm with Ed, I definitely lost sleep over it! I'm very pleased to see the site's back up and running!
Thanks John!

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
A couple of users are pounding the site with hits. I've contacted those people for an explanation. Believe it or not two of them hit the site more than google does...

All of this popularity is beating the web server to death.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of using a function to limit the number of connections from one person over a period of time. Some people are pounding the site for no good reason and it needs to stop.

Jake

Reaction score
I'm thinking of using a function to limit the number of connections from one person over a period of time. Some people are pounding the site for no good reason and it needs to stop.

If you use a function like that will there be a time limit on each connection, or just a limit to the number of times we check the site in the period of time?

P.S. I'm sorry for being a caudata.org addict, I'll try to stop connecting so much unless absolutely necessary.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
To solve this problem, I just leave it up in the background all the time

<~ nerd

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a provisional treatment for this problem. It's not a cure but it's a treatment. I suppose we'll find out within a few weeks if it's successful.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1