Hello there! a newb needs a lot of helps =)

veci

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Siru
How are ya all doing?
I got a couple of baby axies for present from my friend yesterday. Yeah! I finally got them! But, I was kinda in panic. I always wanted to have axies but I never found a pet store selling them. Plus, I've been too busy with my hermit crabs to research about breeding these cute babies. All I have is 10G and 20L tanks which I used to use for my hermies. So, I first cleaned 10G(I thought 10G tank is enough for them since they are like my little finger size). I heard they like clean and quiet water so I put 8 bottles of water in the tank which i bought for myself lol and also a thermometer. Then, I came here Caudata.org which I found about 5months ago and searched for infos. I now know It was kinda too rush to have them before cycling the tank first. I was like 'omg, are they gonna die?' If I knew I would get axies, I would have the tank ready. =(
Am I too late to save them?? They don't seem active but swim rarely. I think I did enough research and I'm going to buy some stuff for them at Petco. Let me list items that I need immediately.

Water filter : I want the waterfall type but people prefer the canister filter with spraybar?
master kit for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate : I don't know if any brand is fine.
Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate less than 40 ppm, temperature MAX at 20-23C, what is 6.4-8 hp?
turkey baster, siphon vacuum : same as master kit.
feeding : errr...I kinda don't like to touch worms..yeah...I'm a man but still..!! tweezers will help?
substrate : sand would be good but which brand? I use playsand for my hermies but I saw when I put water in their water bowl, the water is blurry. That's why I'm worried about for the axies.
decor : I think i'm going to stick with fake silk plants.

Phew..guess those are the basic needs?
As soon as I'm well-prepared and have cycled 20L gallon tank, I will move them into the tank.
But what I am concerning about is will they be ok til the 20L tank is ready?
oh..and the species..I think they are wildaxies. They are darkgray(?).

Sorry for keep editing. XD I'm kind of people who think once and do it then think again and repeat it...lol This is weird that here in Michigan is hot thesedays especially in my apartment. How can I keep the water temperature lower than 20C? the thermometer currently says 22C...I gotta go out now so I have to stop asking and go get the basic requirements first. See you guys later!

You can find information on keeping axoltols cool here. Don't underestimate the power of moving the tank as a way of keeping the temperature down. There can be broad fluctuations within one room.

As for sand both play sand and filter sand from a pool store work well. Pool filter sand is especially nice as it less dusty and takes far less work before adding to the tank. I bought 50lbs for $7.50 so it is not that expensive either. Play sand is fine but it really needs to be rinsed thoroughly before being used.

I think you mean pH instead of hp. That is just a measure of how acidic or basic the water is. It is far less important that ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Make sure your test kits are the liquid reagent types and not the dip strips. The strips tend to go bad quicker and give more variable results. The test tube ones with liquid that you add are cheaper and give more reliable results.

You can learn more about filters here. It isn't always a good choice for everyone but I personally like sponge filters coupled with good monitoring of the water quality. Whatever filter you purchase make sure to maintain a good water maintenance schedule. You should do a 10-25% water change weekly to help keep nitrogenous compounds in check. With your tank being uncycled you will want to test your water often and do water changes whenever nitrites or ammonia become detectable.

There are a ton of articles that you can read here. Check out the links in my signature.

I just got home with a siphon and a master test kit. The master test kit was awesome and well instructed. I tested the water in the tank right away, and it said right levels of ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. The kit also has bottles of liquid for ph and high-range ph. Do I need to test these two weekly, too? I didn't buy a filter yet. There was Fluval submersible filter. Any comment on that filter who currently uses it?

The main ones to test for are first 3 while it's cycling.

I have always used fluval underwater filters - they rock
I currently use a fluval 2 in my small tank and a fluval 3 in my larger one

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back