Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Advice on posting eggs please

freddy73

Reaction score
HI, My Axies have just had their 2nd lot of eggs in 2 weeks. I kept some of the 1st batch and now have larvae to look after which is a bit of a nightmare to be honest but I am managing ok with it. The only thing is I really can't raise anymore so would be prepared to give the eggs away but I have no idea how to post them. My last lot of eggs hatched in a week so I need to get moving really, the postal strikes won't help matters much either. Anyway if anyone can give me some advice it would be much appreciated.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
See:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/shipping.shtml

Shipping eggs is a piece of cake. The only risk is temperature along the way. If they get hot, they are toast. Being only eggs, most people are not willing to pay the cost of overnight shipping. But if the temp is good, they can survive several days in the regular mail.

In terms of packaging, any of the following will work:
Double-bagging in ziploc bags
Seal into a soda bottle (w/o air space to avoid "sloshing")
Pack in a plastic container of wet paper towels

In my experience with newt eggs, they actually tend to do better on wet towels, rather than in water. However, axie eggs have a lot of "goo" around them, so packing in water may be preferable.

digger

Reaction score
hi
i had eggs sent by colinb and he used a panda pop bottle filled with tank water.this he surrounded with polystyrene/ and placed in a box all arrived safe and sound.
ps
if you have some spare will gladly take some off you

kerry

Reaction score
If your want to minimise the risk of them hatching too soon, keep them at a lower temperature until you post them.

freddy73

Reaction score
I don't think they are fertile anyway as after over 24 hours they are still tiny dots half black and half white. Also there is hardly any jelly round them at all. i will give them another day or 2 though then decide what to do. Thank you for your help

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1