Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

difficulty with meal worms

Tequila Sunrise

Reaction score
Today I got my axie some meal worms, she seems to like them but has a lot of trouble eating them. It takes her about 10 minutes, it keeps popping in and out of her mouth. Is this because they are new to her or should she be able to eat them quicker?

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Mealworms are usually not acceptable as amphibian food. They have strong jaws, are not easily killed when swallowed, and hard exoskeletons which are not easily digested.

She's probably spitting them out because of the texture. Mine do that with all new foods. However, I don't advise feeding mealworms unless they're freshly shed, and they've been decapitated.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have quite a few caudates that reject mealworms. I recommend using earthworms instead. They are easier to eat, and better nutritionally.

Cizza

Reaction score
Hi i tryed mealworms at first with my newts but only one of them would eat them and that was if they had just shedded and there was no point in buying mealworms for just the one so i tryed waxworms, a much softer worm and all my newts went mental for them and snapped them up.

Tequila Sunrise

Reaction score
Even though my axie loves the mealworms, should I stop feeding her them? It seems like most axies don't like mealworms, but mine does, so should I keep feeding her them or opt for a different worm anyway (waxworm or earthworm or something )?

peterj

Reaction score
I feed red wrigglers (an earthworm) from my worm farm as a staple and give the mealworms as a treat. I squish the heads of the mealiesfirst (yeah I know, gross) to ensure they can't hurt my axies (who love them) on the way down.

peterj

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I read about doing that in a thread on here somewhere... I can't take the credit for the idea anyways :).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1