Stupid pet shops

xscarymsmaryx

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Teh Niarr
I went not long ago to have my water tested, and the aquatics place (where I got my axolotl from) said it was fine. I went today to another one and it turns out the nitrite levels are stupidly high. So, water changes for the next few days it seems!

I just wondered how I can make sure my axolotl doesn't get stressed with all the water movement and such. I'm being as careful as I can putting new water in, but it still obviously causes disturbance. I don't want to hurt him :(

One other thing- his tank is next to a goldfish tank. The other tank had its light on, and my axolotl has been chilling over by the lighter bit of his tank. I thought they were nocturnal?! Just seemed a bit odd. Sort of like sunbathing :p

A little movement during water changes isn't that stressful. You just don't want a constant movement (such as with a high filter output).

They're nocturnal, but in captivity, they tend to be active at all parts of the day. Is he looking like he's getting a tan? lol.

if you get your own kit to test the water you will know its in date and can be trusted (it might be worth while doing a third test to see if the 1st or 2nd one was correct) Dont trust any old pet shop to know what they are doing I have one petshop that I trust (as am mates with the owners and know they research any animals they get in before they get them and they print of basic info sheets for prospective owners) mean while there is a second pet shop round the corner that 1 has dying babie aies in it (they have virtually no gills left are ghost white and their heads are way to big for their bodies) 2 keep the baby axies together (i have wallked in there and seen ne with another one lodged in its throat told him and he shrugged) even though they have a sign on the tank saying they eat each other and shouldnt be kept together 3 I told him his 'firebellied newts' were paddletails and he said he knew but people preferred buying newts under this name so he sold more they, I told him they were in tropical water he didnt care and that he shouldnt be housing so many in such a tiny tank (one already had it jaw missing) you would think he woul want to protect his investment if nothing else grrr petshop owners can be really annoying

Carrie, I can understand you wanting to pass on your knowledge regarding your petshop experience. But to make it easier for others to read and follow this thread, could you please add a bit of punctuation next time.

I probably did I have one of those cordless key pads and frankly its a load of rubbish. Thats why you will find letters missing all over the place in some posts. Some keys dont work that well :( I feel like i have been told off by my english teacher. In fact i dont even have an a key (my cat ate it ...no honestly!!)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back