Changes in a granulosa

MRIGUY

Reaction score
Country
United States
I may be reading too much into it but I have noticed a change in one of my T. grans. I have in a 50 gallon. So one of them who is likely 10 years old has been changing slowly over the last several months. He has gotten thin, though not sikly so. His color has gone from a deep rich orange to a faded light orange like a well worn shirt. His skin has also been getting progressivly smoother. He eats well and even with all the chopped nightcrawler he wants daily he will not put the weight back on. His stool was negative for parasites etc. Am I just watching him turn into a little old man or are there thoughts that this could be something else. He is one of eight in the tank and the other seven are great in every respect. I'll try to snap a pic later.

Smooth skin in T. grans is a sign of males coming into breeding condition. As far as getting thin, I dunno.

I am going to try to upload a few pics but it is generally accepted that my skills with cameras and computers is about as good as my psychic ability, and no I have no psychic ability.

Attachments

• DSC00777.jpg
    DSC00777.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 182
  • DSC00779.jpg
    DSC00779.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 187
  • DSC00783.jpg
    DSC00783.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 192
  • DSC00785.jpg
    DSC00785.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 193
  • DSC00786.jpg
    DSC00786.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 188
In the hand shots he does not look that thin but on the driftwood next to his zoftig brethren it is more obvious.

He still doesn't appear dangerously thin. Try offering some more calorie-dense foods, like waxworms or pinkie mice (if he's big enough for them).

I'm definately not a pro at this, but I keep some of this species and have seen a lot of these guys in poor condition in the pet trade here. I have noticed that when the backbone begins to show, even when they are eating and seem otherwise healthy, they are beginning to deteriate. I am not sure what condition it is, but in my experience, I have never seen one that has survived after it's backbone began to show. I couldn't quite tell in your picture if this was happening or not but from the way the light reflected it looked like it might be. Here is a picture of one of mine that had this happen. It appears to be fat and healthy otherwise, but it didn't pull through.
Hopefully this is not the case with yours, best of luck!

Attachments

• sick newt.jpg
    sick newt.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 215
audrey, that one looks like it is skinny with a bloat(the newt isnt in its usual pear shape)

hmm, could be. I hadn't realized that! I thought I posted that pic back when it was sick and no one pointed that out. (Though it had been eating well for a while before I took the photo.)(I have other pictures, but this isn't my thread, I just thought my observation might have been helpful, maybe it's completely different!)

audrey, that one looks like it is skinny with a bloat(the newt isnt in its usual pear shape)

I have had a Tg waste away a while back and it was much quicker than this. This reminds me of my father-in-law. He has changed over the last 20 years and we have watched it happen. I would expect that newts age and grow old as well and maybe that is just what I am noticing. I'll just watch and document.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back