Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

floating

chrissy

Reaction score
hi, i have another problem with mambo. lately he has been floating on the top of his tank. it has been ever since i put another axie(toffee) in with him, and he hasnt been himself. what do i do?? im really worried so please help me.

kapo

Reaction score
What is your tank temperature and have you tested your water for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates?

I read your other thread that you had quarantined Toffee before adding him to the tank.

chrissy

Reaction score
yes, i did quarantine.

and i am going to test my water today. thanks for your help so far, i will post what the results are.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's not unusual for an axie to float for a short while. Is he floating all the time? What foods are you feeding them?

chrissy

Reaction score
i checked the water and its all fine, so nothing wrong with it.

i feed him pellets, worms, sometimes crickets and on the odd occasion prawns.

he is usually floating when i wake up in the morning and occasionally when im about to go to bed.

ianclick

Reaction score
Hi Chrissy,

Hendrix acted in a similar fashion when we introduced Ollie to his tank. its over a month now and they are getting along well. Periodically Hendrix still floats Ollie has only just discovered that she can swim faster using her tail not her legs and she too has started taking big gulps of air and floating.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1