Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hongkongensis morphs still not eating

kerry

Reaction score
My hongkongensis larvae started to morph about three or four weeks ago and don't seem to have eaten anything since. I'm aware that they don't usually eat during metamorphosis, but surely they should be hungry by now? They are all out of the water and crawling around on the sand. I've been trying to feed them on frozen bloodworm, both by leaving it out for them and offering it to them with tweezers, but they've shown no interest at all. Any ideas?

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Paramesotriton morphs have a reputation for being very difficult for exactly the reasons you have discovered: they are too shy to hand-feed, and they don't adapt easily to non-live food. Do you have any small live bugs available? Any healthy woodland areas near you? Any source of live food cultures, such as whiteworms or springtails?

Reactions: Ed

Ed

Reaction score
If there is a local tropical fish club you can also check with them to see is any of the members are culturing white worms (Enchytraeus), Grindle worms, springtails or fruit flies.

Ed

kerry

Reaction score
Thanks both of you - very helpful! Where I live there is absolutely no live food available, but I've ordered some fruit flies over the internet. Hopefully they'll arrive alive in a couple of days. The fruit flies are described as 'flightless' but I'm still a bit paranoid they'll escape and infest my house! Do you have any advice about how to avoid that?

fishkeeper

Reaction score
No need to worry about the FF's. If they escape(which to be honest is going to be almost impossible to prevent when feeding)...they will die in a day or less. You can put out a small dish of vinegar for them to go into and drown.

rigsby

Reaction score
Hi Kerry..if you contact pollywog and order some pheonix worms they live for around a month and will be just right for your little uns..

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1