Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

hiding

Volt

Reaction score
i bought this small log for my axolotl to hide in but he doesnt seem to be using it, will he eventually go inside it or is it best that i take it out

clairey85

Reaction score
how big is the log?

is it much bigger than the axie
mine uses his quite frequently, so just thought i would ask

clairey85

Reaction score
nope not at all - my maurice loves his log= is the tank really big?
cos maybe he just needs to do some exploring, but logs are good as they add a bit of scenery as well...

maurice uses his log to sleep in during the day or to sit on top of :D
but he didnt use it when i first put it in.. so im guessing just wait and see ;)

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Mine don't use their hides frequently, but it's good to have them in there. And if it looks nice, that's an added bonus.

Ghost

Reaction score
Mine just fits in his/her log and only uses it occasionally. I reckon just leave it in there.

S

Stan Stepanic

In my experience it may be simply where you have it located. If you have it in a corner away from light with some, perhaps, fake plants hovering above it they should go in it. Play around with its position to find where they like it. I had this one who was obsessed with staying in a cave until I moved things around and now he just goes in there for a snooze now and then.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1