Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

just a little interesting happening

trincan

Reaction score
Was at the Detroit river for a stroll the other day here in Windsor, Ontario, and i saw a seagull trying to swallow a small salamander, that had to have been a small mudpuppy, (that's the only caudate around Windsor) there were three birds surrounding the one doing the "eating" (trying to swallow the thing whole) i could not make out the gills, it being out of water and all. I would have thought it to be too slimy, and even toxic? Maybe it was already dead though, the water here is gross...
Just thought I would share, I have never seen anything like this before. Anyone else with a similar experience?

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
There are definitely mudpuppies in the Detroit River. As far as birds trying to eat salamanders, that's pretty common as well. They're not that toxic. Not like T.granulosa or anything.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!