Legal in canada?

ecoreptiles

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I'm having a difficult time finding axolotls to buy. One pet store told me they're actually illegal in Canada. True? Any ideas where I can find more info on a) legality and b) breeders?

They are legal. Tiger Salamanders/Necturus are the ones that are illegal (at least in Alberta) but since petstores use the term "mudpuppy" and "waterdogs" so loosely Axoltols, Tiger Salamanders and fully aquatic salamanders have been lumped together as illegal. If your looking to get some shipped to you send me a PM I do have some Wild Types available. If you go the Petstore route they do have true axoltols available from time to time but in Canada I have only seen them over priced and around 50-60$ea.

Good!

Wild types are cool. I'd love a couple shipped to me! I don't know what a PM is though.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back