just a some questions about lighting and crickets

wildsalie

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I am looking for a lightbulb that has hardly any heat for my salamander's 10 gallon tank. Does anyone have any suggestions.

Also I went to the store and got some crickets in a plastic container. How do you get one or two crickets out at a time. I got two crickets out for the salamander and five others jumped out at the same time. It was a good thing I did that outside.

You don't need a light unless you're growing plants. If you are growing plants, fluorescent lights are more appropriate.

As for crickets, If you've got half a dozen, throw them all in at once. Dust them once in a while if you're going to be using them as a staple.

The shallow plastic tubs crickets are sold in are not ideal as you’ve discovered. Crickets tend to jump all over the place when disturbed and you’ll lose many if you keep them in the container they were sold in. I keep my crickets in a glass fish tank with a tight fitting lid. Any container that has high sides and a well ventilated (but cricket proof) lid will do nicely. To catch them I use an empty film canister and round them up into it. I sometimes place the cardboard middle of a toilet roll in the tanks which the crickets use to hide in. Simply pick the roll out and tap them into the salamanders tank.

Caring for your crickets is very important and usually overlooked. By keeping their enclosure clean and feeding them every few days you will have healthy, fat crickets which will provide more nutrients to your salamander. Feed them a variety of fruit and cereals. During a short stint as a zoo keeper it was evident that the feeder insects received as much care as the exhibit animals which I think is good practice.

Attached: My cricket tank – today’s meal is fruit peelings, banana and oat flakes :D.

Attachments

• IMG_0273.jpg
    IMG_0273.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 180
Thanks for the suggestions on lighting.

John that is quite the setup for your crickets. Thanks for sharing.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back