I think I may live in the Salamander capital..

BubbaPhat

Reaction score
Country
United States
First the one..

then the 2nd.. and 3rd

Now a 4th..

so since July 22nd.. I have had 4 Tiger Barred Salamanders show up in our house.. 1 in the Garage.. 1 in a bedroom.. 1 in a bathroom.. and the 4th this morning in my hallway.

I will try to get some pics.. the 1st and 3rd are more or less hiding in the substrate of the aquarium in the bedroom.. I drop in a few crickets every other day.. and they are happy.. the 2nd and now the 4th are in a smaller enclosure until I can either get another aquarium or release the 4th..

I don't know why the house is attracting them.. or why it is prime for them.. but.. I don't think the suggestion of a co-worker to just kill them is worth wild.. if anything.. I am going to make a early e
evening (9-10pm when the sun is down) run across to the field and let the 4th one go..

You're probably just in the way of their migration.

But your collecting them en mass is going to have detrimental effects to their local populations. Just because they show up doesn't mean you have to keep them.

I agree with Kaysie. I think it may be wise to set them free. If it is meant to be, they will come back and walk right into your aquarium. Otherwise, just let them go about their natural business. If there are as many as you say there are then you could just sit back and revel in their natural beauty!

Main reason for picking up the last one was to keep it from getting mauled by the dog..

1 was cool.. 2 was interesting.. 3.. yeah we have enough..

this little guy will be photographed.. and then.. tonight he's going to the field area near the stagnent water..

there's a pic of the satellite photo in another thread

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back