Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

First post...Indiana Salamandering

hoosierherper

Reaction score
Hey everyone...I just stumbled upon this site. Some of you may know me from other field herping forums and websites, but for those of you who don't, here's a few pics of some salamanders I have found in Indiana.

Small-mouthed Salamander (Ambystoma texanum)
ambystomatexanum-5.jpg

Marbled Salamander (Ambystoma opacum)
ambystomaopacum-1.jpg

Spotted Salamander (Ambystoma maculatum)
ambystomamaculatum.jpg

Mole Salamander (Ambystoma talpoideum)
ambystomatalpoideum.jpg

Jefferson's Salamander (Ambystoma jeffersonianum)
ambystomajeffersonianum-1.jpg

Tiger Salamander (Ambystoma tigrinum)...this one is actually from IL. I've found them here, but don't have as good of photos as I do of individuals from IL.
ambystomatigrinum.jpg

Streamside Salamander (Ambystoma barbouri)
ambystomabarbouri3-1.jpg

Red-backed Salamander (Plethodon cinereus)
plethodoncinereus.jpg

Northern Slimy Salamander (Plethodon glutinosis)
plethodonglutinosis.jpg

Two-lined Salamander (Eurycea cirrigera)
euryceacirrigera2.jpg

Long-tailed Salamander (Eurycea longicauda)
eurycealongicauda.jpg

Four-toed Salamander (Hemidactylium scutatum)
hemidactyliumscutatum.jpg

Green Salamander (Aneides aeneus)
aneidesaeneus.jpg

Eastern Newt (Notophthalmus viridescens)
notophthalmusviridescens2.jpg

Sorry for the different sizes of photos...I just started posting larger photos, and I had to include some older ones.

Thanks,
Todd

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Great first post, Todd! Welcome to the forum. Those are some chunky Ambystoma specimens :cool:

Now, in a shameless act of promotion I'm going to direct you to the Caudata.org calendar photo competition:http://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=48513 and hope that you submit some of the above shots.

mantighoul

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
Hello!
What region(s) in Indiana have you been herping in, I am looking for information on what caudata are found in Lake county, IN (nw indiana) and if there are documented occurance of ambystoma hybrids in this area.

Anyways, great pictures! i like the mole salamander pictures, cute face. Nice to see someone post pictures from the areas where I am from. :)

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Todd: Fantastic. Thank you for gracing us with both your presence and your photos. I look forward to seeing more.

AnnMarie: Please don't ask for locations publicly - if you must ask, pm the person privately. We frown on both of these actions though (see the rules sticky post), so please only ask if your motivations are scientific or not for collection purposes.

mantighoul

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
I never plan on collecting,ever. I have been to field herping forums and threads before and states and even counties are usually ok to ask, because it is a large area.

All I just wanted to know if anyone has come across ambystoma hybrids out of the suposed documented range. I dont see how you could have mistaken this for information on collecting, I have a reserve in my backyard, and several species are found, some listed, some not, that was my motivation for asking if an Indiana herper has come across them out of range..

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!