Help!!

jake73

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hey.My axolotl is frustrating me because every time i clean out my tank he goes absolutley balistic if i get anywhere near him. Same as when i feed him and the food drops 5cm away he'll basicly jump out of the tank! IS there anything you can reccomend to make him not scared of me??

Last edited:
Hi Jake, I'm going to move this to the axie area. You'll get a better response there.

Jake, what's your setup like? What size tank do you have? What kind of filter? How many hiding places do you have? What are your water parameters? How do you clean your tank?

My tank is 3 ft long and a foot wide. It has a heater set at 20 degrees centigrade, a wooden tunnel and a rocky thing on the side. I have a new Aqua1 filter. I clean my tank using a net to get rid of all the discusting bits of beef heart he dosn't eat and to clean all the rocks i have a tube-like thing that sucks out all the dirty water into a bucket. What do you think is wrong?:confused:

Well, you don't really need the heater in it's tank. They appreciate cooler temperatures.

How long have you had it? It could still be getting adjusted to being hand fed if it came from a breeder or a pet store.

Try and find a turkey baster, they work better for daily spot cleaning than a net. Do they get rattled when you're using the siphon to clean between the rocks?

And yes remove the heater as well!

Ok. I'll take out the heater. I bought him about 2 months ago.Umm... and what's a turkey baster?

One of my friends used to have river rocks (3 inch size) in his tank and his axolotls would always freak out when he siphoned amongst the rocks.

You should be able to pick one up in the kitchen department of a supermarket or kitchen store.

Attachments

• turkey baster.jpg
    turkey baster.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 3,704
Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back