Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sudden death!

mrpetrock

Reaction score
I was watching TV 15mins ago and when i went back up stairs (they were fine an hour ago), THEY WERE DEAD! both of them!
i just tested my water last week! it was fine!

what happened!?

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear it:(

For 2 animals to look OK, and then die within 1 hour, there has to be something seriously wrong, and it has to happen quickly. An ammonia spike can certainly happen quickly, but it would have to be an incredible coincidence for both animals to die within the same hour. Is there any chance that anyone in the household could have put something dangerous in the tank during that time? Or a bad batch of food perhaps? Or something electrical falling into the tank?

Ed

Reaction score
Or something that was airborn and entered into the tank via an airpump or filter. Paint or paint thinner fumes and pesticides are the ones that quickly leap to mind. Also very minute amounts of pesticides can be lethal quite rapidly. Traces left on hands or anything that comes into contact with the tank (for example handling something before washing up and then handling it later and then working/in on the tank can supply a sufficient level of toxin to wipe out the tank.)

Ed

mrpetrock

Reaction score
I just opened up the filter, and found this chalkish coloured slime in it last night, and some of them attached to the tank. What the hell caused this? It looks werid!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1