Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

what size

Frog

Reaction score
I have 6 young axolotls 2-3 inches long . I can either set up a 30 gallon tank for them till their bigger or set up a 55 gallon tank for them that should last quite a while . Any ideas on which would be better ? I feed my babies by hand acouple times a day and that would be easier in the 30 since they are so small but I want to do what would be better for them . Thanks for any help.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think either option would work. Another possibility to consider would be TWO 30-gallon tanks, instead of a 55. This would give you a lot more flexibility to re-arrange animals in order to separate the sexes, or to separate the larger ones from smaller ones. If you find or build the right kind of aquarium stand, you can keep one tank above the other to save space. If you really plan to keep all 6 of them long-term, I think this is a much better solution than a single tank.

ryanhearps145

Axolotl Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with Jennewt, that 2 tanks would be a great idea as you can seperate your axolotls. This however would prove quite costly and as you said a larger tank would be better when they grow up. Your best bet would be to get the larger sized tank and then use a piece of glass of plastic sheet that can be inserted into the tank to in effect create a seperate tank. You should drill wholes in the sheet to allow proper water and air flow. This would solve your problems as you can seperate the axolotls by sex or size as they develop. I hope this helps.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Two 30 gallon long tanks will cost approximately $45 a piece in USD, while a 55 gallon tank will cost about $90, so it's not more cost efficient either way.

Having two 30 gallon tanks gives you more options, as you may get rid of some of your axolotls, and can use the tank for another species.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1