I have my first axolotls, they are eggs and I am awaiting their hatching.

ryanhearps145

Axolotl Enthusiast
Reaction score
Country
Australia
I have 4 eggs with developing axolotls, a further 2 eggs aren't developing. Should I get rid of them? Also when they hatch should I put them straight into the large tank I have ready or first into smaller tanks until they grow abit? Thank you and I can't wait to hear from you guys.

were did u get the eggs from

I got them from my school, my uncle is the labratory technician and I got them for free. They are comming along well so I hope they go well.

At the mpment I have a filter, a heater to keep the water around 19-20 Degrees. and an air pump. I am also hatching some baby brine shrimp from eggs in a bottle with another pump. I was wondering, does it matter that the heat is not totally even. There is a slight difference between where the heater is and where the thermoneter is at the other end of the tank.

Take the heater out.

Unless the water without the heater is below 10C, you shouldn't have a heater at all.

I think I will remove the heater soon, at the moment its winter hear and last night it dropped to -2 degrees. So I am planning on removing it as soon as the weather get better.

Unless you're keeping the eggs outdoors, you don't need a heater. Regular room temperature is just fine.

Thanks, I will do that. I was told by the pet store I bought the aquarium from that a heater was a good idea and I shouldn't let the water go below 16 degrees. But I guess they are there to sell things after all.

Hi Ryan, I lost most of my eggs to heat - they we in my sisters "Bug Room"; and the heat killed all but a few.

I'm not experienced in keeping them, but I keep mine in a plastic tank 1/4 water with a little pond weed - kept in-doors; out of direct sunlight - fresh clean rain water once a week.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back