Pinkies & Fuzzies

pavlor

Reaction score
Country
Wales
Display Name
Paul-Mark Root
I heard from one axie keeper that he has been feeding his axie fuzzies for several years, so I have started feeding mine these. I just want to know if any other people on this forum have fed pinkies and fuzzies to their axies and what are the feelings of doing this?

Thanks in advance!

Pssst..whats a fuzzie?
I was looking at some 'pinkies' in the pet shop freezer Sunday....but these parents were rats so I think way too big, so I didn't try them. Now baby ( sorry I know they aren't babies but I've had a g&t and the old brain is less able to work) mice I might well try as a very occasional 'treat'..

Pinkies and fuzzies can be either baby rats or mice. They are born hairless and pink (pinkies), then they start to grow fur (fuzzies).

The caloric density for pinkies/fuzzies is higher than for other foods of similar size. Thus, animals fed a lot of them tend to become obese. Aside from that, I believe they are OK nutritionally.

There can be some issues if the pinks/fuzzies are from parents that have been fed on commercial rodent chow. This means that the pinks/fuzzies may contain sufficient levels of vitamin A as retinol to disrupt the calcium metabolism. They should be supplemented with a D3 supplement.

They are very calorically dense when compared to other more common axolotl foods and over feeding through the use of pinks/fuzzies is very easy.

Ed

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back