Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Cynops orientalis with tumor?

audrey

Reaction score
So I posted about this awhile ago and at the time my newt was doing fine, it was just a strange thing. But recently I saw her trying to climb out of the water which she has never done since I got her over two years ago so I decided I had better keep an eye on her and tonight I found her sitting on the island with her mouth gaping open with the tumor hanging in the water. I would have taken a picture but my camera battery is dead though I do have some photos of her in the gallery.....
http://www.caudata.org/photoplog/index.php?n=372
http://www.caudata.org/photoplog/index.php?n=371
I can't see any significant change in the tumor at this point though I don't really want to disturb her more than I have to but this is the first time that I have seen her even seem aware that she has it and it is certainly strange behavior for her. If anyone has had an experience like this or can give me some advice that would be highly appreciated! Thanks.
I do have a vet that I will try to get her in with but there may be no chance at this late of notice before the weekend.

audrey

Reaction score
The tumor has definately swollen into her mouth and she can't close it. She is completely lathargic and did not move at all when I removed her and put her into a "hospital" enclosure. She has been at a steady 65F but I went ahead and put her little enclosure on a towel on top of some ice in a cooler to see if maybe that would slow things down until I can figure out what I can do for her.

tomthlee

Reaction score
I'm really sorry to hear about this. I hope someone on this board can advise. Are there any specialty/exotic vets in your area?

I'm replying because this sounds too familiar to me - except it happened to my dog. I know that dogs and newts are different but the case is the same. She had a tumor growing on her tongue inside her mouth and it got to the point where it stopped her from eating and drinking. I had to give her water through a dropper and feed her with a needleless syringe (although not all of the food got through). She eventually got weak to the point where 10 steps would fatigue her.

I made the choice to put her down. There was the option of removing the tongue, but the consequences meant that she would need assistance eating and drinking for the rest of her life. And on top of it, there was no guarantee that this would stop the root of the problem. So in hindsight I still believe I made the right choice. Your case may be different, though, and I strongly suggest considering every option.

All the best and I hope that someone replies soon.

Ed

Reaction score
You need to contact a vet. It doesn't necessarily have to he an exotics animal vet if they are willing to consult with one (Often vets at Zoos will consult with other vets for free) or have access to the information that they need.

Ed

audrey

Reaction score
thanks for the replies. Ed, I got an appointment with the vet today and will post what he says......

audrey

Reaction score
here are some pics

It's kind of hard to get a look at, so here are a few different views.....anyone seen anything like this before?

Attachments

• tumor2.jpg
    tumor2.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 441
  • tumor3.jpg
    tumor3.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 310
  • tumor4.jpg
    tumor4.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 368

audrey

Reaction score
So for those of you who may be interested.......the vet said that she appears to be having some problems with some ulcerations on the tumor though it itself doesn't seem to be problematic at this time. He says it may just cause her problems like this from time to time. He gave me some antibiotics to treat it with. He said that if the tumor grows then he can remove it and treat the wound, but it will be open because the location doesn't allow him a way to sew it up. He said the biggest risk is finding the right the amount of anesthetic for the size of animal. She weights 3 grams!

Last edited:

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
No, I've never seen anything like it. I'd like to use the second photo you posted in your first post, if you don't mind. Or a clearer side-view of the newt would be better. I'm preparing a page of photos of various illnesses, and this is a good example of a tumor. (Not good for the newt, though):(

Anaesthesia for a small newt is normally done by soaking the newt in a bath of MS-222. I can look up the exact chemical name and dosage, if you need it.

audrey

Reaction score
Sad news

Well she died today, but here are some pics (you can use these if they work for you Jen).

Towards the end she started bloating and a hole developed in the tumor, you can just barely see it in the last pic.

Attachments

• tumorforJen1.jpg
    tumorforJen1.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 4,108
  • tumorforJen2.jpg
    tumorforJen2.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 5,572
  • hole in tumor.jpg
    hole in tumor.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 351

koala

Asian Newt Group
Reaction score
Your newt's enclosure looks rather small. I would consider upgrading. :mad:

audrey

Reaction score
It seems unlikely that it was a cyst because it was really hard and the vet did check it out a couple of times. She had it for about three years, it got infected at the beginning and since then she never had a problem with it, and then just recently..........

audrey

Reaction score
Koala, my newt has passed away now but I was keeping it in what I call a "hospital" tank. It is much smaller than normal but that way I can medicate it, keep a close watch on it, and clean the enclosure daily - this is helpful with a sick newt. It also keeps it away from healthy newts which might pick on it or catch something contagious from it.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the newt dieing. Really, it's amazing that she was able to live as long as she did with a growth right under her mouth. I know she got good care, and you did the best for her. Thank you for taking the photos.

tomthlee

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the newt passing. As mentioned above, she received the best care from you. She was a very tough newt to have fought and struggled through that tumor.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1