hi all, need advice

Orga

Axolotl Enthusiast
Reaction score
Country
Australia
HI all, ive just gotten into axolotls and am learning new stuff every day. they have just layed bout 100 eggs in the last 2 days and was after some advice on the best way to care for them and raise them and hatch them. any advice would be great, i have already seperated the axies from the eggs, but other than that not even sure if they will hatch they are 1/2 black or grey and 1/2 white, are they any good?
thanks guys

Hi Orga, I'm new to this too - I lost a lot of my first batches of Axolotl eggs to heat. The guys on here will be able to advise you better ~ but as one novice to another; I'd say don't let them over heat mate. The white and black are probably just different colours.

Look here http://www.axolotl.org/rearing.htm this is the best site you'll find on keeping axolotls, and it will answer the majority of your questions.

If the eggs begin to develop and take on a "peanut-like" shape in the next few days to a week, then they're good, but if they get opaque, and stay round, they're duds. Good luck!

Hello Orga,
My two axolotl recently produced eggs, and I am now in the throws of raising larvae. It appears that i have approx 40 which is far far too much, I would personally suggest that you be ruthless and only keep 10-20 of the eggs, you'll soon see which ones look like they are developing and which aren't.
You also need to bare in mind what you aim to do with the young once they are bigger, in my case I can only really keep 1 or 2, fortunately for me I have a local aquarium who will take them on when they are able to eat blood worm, they will then raise them on to sell on when they are a good size. I was slightly lucky here in that my two chose to reproduce out of season.
You need to be prepared in advance for when they hatch, mine are in a large shallow tray the moment with a lid, though soon I'll be needing to seperate them again as the wild type ones are double the size of my albino ( from the same clutch). Researching what you aim to feed them would be productive.I chose brine shrimp as they appear to be the best choice..I thought i had understood it all until I started running it and then all the niggling problems started..If I was to go back and start this all over again I would have had a practice run with the shrimp!
At the end of the day look into this site and read threads, you will learn so much ... and keep asking questions if you are unsure.

thanks heaps guys for all the info, hopefully i will get there fingers crossed, theyve all just started to flatten down and look like jelly beans now.:rolleyes:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back