Curly gills

sezz

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Coodle seems very healthy and very active. i feed her once a second night or sometimes once a third night, and the water parameters are perfect not a worry, temperature gets up to 18ºC max and i drop it as often as i can with bottles of iced dechlorinated water.

Ive posted now a few months back when i first bought her, she got fungi on her gills and all the horrible bunch of **** and lost her beautiful feathery gills. only later on as i was treating her, as time went she slowly entered the tank and lived in it since. The tank worked out perfect and to this day is running very well, clean and worm free finally (i posted i had white worms but they dissaperared because i took care of it!)
and im posting this because my gorgeous axie has only one straight feathery gills as others are little curled in. one of them looks honestly like as if its travelling or returning into her head its that curled.
I since then changed the filter to reduce the current, and since then she has become active with an absolute personality.
to this day, she stil has the curled gills.. kinda annoys me because i dont want it to be liek that! lol alltho im thinking wether its just the way they've grown because of their total dossapearence when she first got sick, im not sure.

but i think this is something i cant change? unless someone has had the same experience?

Yes, it's most probably the way they regenerated.

By the way, if your tankwater gets to 18C you don't have to use cooling methods, wait till your summer really kicks in and the temps start rising into the 20s.

haha it acutally did raise to 20ºC today im like woo hold up!!!

ive just got another axie, help me with the breed name of this one, its brown with reddish gills, i think theres one in your avatar picture.

the first one i have is an albino one, and this new one i just got from the pet store, i am going to quarantine HIM yes a male, into a separate tank ;) best of luck to me yey!

Kapo can i add that youve been a life saver, and the best helper ever? you are so knowledable and ive learnt a lot from your posts and advice.

Thanks again. wish i had photoes, my darn cell fone broke and i dont have a digi :/

Thanks Sezz, it's nice to know your axie has improved and come along well!

Your other one is wildtype axolotl. There are many variations of wildtype, but our most common wildtype in NZ are the light grey to varying shades of brown or almost black. I've seen some really nice coloured caramel coloured wildtypes in some of the Aussie owners' photos, would be nice to see some of them here! :D

i know what you mean!! i saw them too pn the photoes

I promise i will grab a digi cam i know i can get a hold of, and post some phototes. its been on my checklist and still waiting to get this digi cam to post some phototes. hehe

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back