Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Broken tail and has just fungus what should I do?

stephen

Reaction score
My little axie was fine yesterday and now I go and look and the tank and its tail is broken and has fungus all over its body. What should I do? I think it will die because it is trying to move but just flips onto its back. It has this white stuff coming out of its bum what is that? Should I bother putting it in salt because will that just stress it out and make it die quicker? It was not the water that caused the fungus because the water is all clean and the levels are all good. I think it was the broken tail that caused the fungus. I dont know how it broke its tail it might have been my other axie biting it.

sezz

Reaction score
i can understand what youre saying... fungi grows rapidly in a day.

I am actually in process of thinking of getting another one, and im triyng to do this today, thats why im researching on this website a little more,,, but from my point of view, it probably would help if you put your sick axie in a container and put her in the fridge. if you dont wanna put salt in, then dont or do but a vey small amount if that worries you.
the water temperature will obviously help her rest, but in my opinion fridging wouldnt be such a bad idea...
if changes do occur, then do small salt water bath?

this is only my opinion, im not an expert but so far seems logical, becuse keeping a fungi infested axie with another one in a tank isnt a good idea, id automatically transfer into a bucket and into the friedge to prevent any more fungi to produce.

kapo

Reaction score
Stephen, I assume you quarantined this axolotl for 30 days at least until you introduced him/her to the tank.

You do know how to treat the axolotl if it has fungus, you have had two other axies, both deceased now, that also had fungal infections and were given good advice on both threads.

What is the size difference between the two axolotls? It may very well have been snapped at by the other axolotl, which could have caused the break in the tail as well as the infection/fungus.

Salt bath treatments, in case you've forgotten:

2-3 teaspoons of salt per litre of dechlorinated water twice or three times daily until several days after the fungus drops off.

If he's turning upside down, separate and either fridge him or put him in a bucket of dechlorinated water (change it every day), lower the water so he doesn't flip upside down or float.

stephen

Reaction score
I have had this axie for 6 months now so it didn't have this when I bought it. I don't know if it is still alive because it is lying on its back and I havn't seen it move for a while.

stephen

Reaction score
I think it is dead. It has been on its back for an hour now. It is in a bucket and I am going to get rid of it when my dad comes home.

stephen

Reaction score
I was about to get rid of it and then it started to move. It has been upside for an hour and it is still alive. It is like it is coming back from the dead. I touched it a while ago and it didn't move but now it is moving around on its back. What should I do?

sezz

Reaction score
what is the temperature like ?
get it cold, put him in the fridge man stop waiting and pondering

sezz

Reaction score
oh good good!
lets hope for the best. and make sure the bucket is covered with something so the light doesnt disturb it :/

keep us posted fingers crossed :/

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1