bloat

bekka

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
bekka
Hello, everyone. I've had my two cynops orientalis, Hatori and Shinobi, for about 9 months now. However, it seems Shinobi has bloat. Her tail, throat, and body are all enlarged. I've read the article on caudata culture about bloat. I've put her into a separate 10 gallon tank with moss and just enough water to keep her wet, since it seems she's too enlarged to swim properly. I first noticed the bloat about 4 days ago. I've been changing the water in her new tank daily, and I have added a bit of sea salt to it each time. However, since it didn't seem like she was getting any better, I took her to the vet today. He prescribed her an antibiotic called baytril (a solution of 1%) and told me to give her 0.02 mL orally each day for seven days. Does this sound okay? The vet told me to rinse out her tank and put in completely new dechlorinated water and new moss. Is this okay, even though the water isn't cycled? The vet decided to give her the first dose to show me how to do it... and just as he's about to put it into her mouth with the syringe, the vet assistant dashes in and says, "wait! did you already give it the medicine???" Apparently, he mixed the wrong medicine!! How horrifying! How careless! I was so upset... So, the vet went to go make sure it was remixed properly. O_O Seriously... I wonder how often this stuff happens? Anyways, I'm worried about Shinobi... I hope she can pull through strong.

~Bekka

Baytril is the antibiotic of choice for most herps. I've used it previously.

As long as you change the water frequently, you'll be fine there.

I hope things turn out okay for you.

thanks.
I haven't been able to give her the medicine orally yet... I tried this morning with no luck.
I'm going to try again soon.

As far as orally introducing medicine, I've found the easiest way to do it is to hold the newt with your thumb between its front legs, and to put the point of the syringe at the corner of it's mouth and slide it toward the front with a bit of pressure. This usually opens the jaw without causing damage. Then I stick my pinky in its mouth (on the other side) so it can't close.

Alternately, some people use a credit card. But you'll probably need two people (or three hands) to do it that way.

Maybe Ed will see this and offer some suggestions if he has a better idea.

It is a lot easier if someone can restrain the newt while the other person adminsters the medication.

At work we typically don't adminsiter it orally but instead use injectables.

Ed

I realize this is trivial to the topic at hand, but I am curious Ed, what size gauge needles do you use for the injectable meds, and what location on the body do you use as your injection site?

Thanks for the help. ^_^ I've been able to give it to her successfully now, and I even got her to eat a bloodworm too. However, she doesn't look any less bloated. Today will be her fourth day on the medication.

I don't know the gauge of the needle as I haven't paid attention (as I am usually paying too much attention to restraining the amphibian) but we usually use tuberculin syringes for administration of the medications. Most of the amphibians (down to about C. cyanurus or most non-thumbnail dendrobatid in size) are given the injections in the front leg close to the shoulder joint. Typically with smaller amphibians are either given a bath, or have it dripped on them depending if they are aquatic or terrestrial (we have treated amphibians as small as 0.19 gram Mantella aurantiaca in this manner).

For those wishing more information I suggest reviewing Amphibian Medicine and Captive Husbandry (or talking to thier vets).

Ed

I've found that injections are easier than oral administration. It's quicker, and I think it's less traumatic to the animal.

Today is Shinobi's eighth day on the antibiotic. However, Shinobi doesn't look much better. The vet suggested a solution of dextrose to help relieve the swelling, which I have started today. In your opinion, do you think that it is not a bacterial infection that is causing the bloat since her size doesn't seem to be any less so far?

dead?

Shinobi seemed to be getting better quickly with the solution of dextrose. In fact, yesterday, she seemed fairly normal sized. However, when I went to change her water this morning, she didn't move. When I picked her up, she didn't move and was very limp. Her eyes are open, but she hasn't moved in 7 hours. Should I assume she has died? Or is it possible that she's just too weak to move? I'm afraid of assuming she's dead and burying her when she's not. :(

Well, thanks for your help.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back