Cleaning The Glass

rosstxttpo

Reaction score
Country
Scotland
Display Name
Ross TxT-TPO
Whats the best way to get rid of any built up mess on the glass inside the tank? Should I just wipe it off? I wanted to check before I did it incase its good bacteria etc?

Cheers

I use kitchen paper ( organic/ non bleached..and it not just for the lotties)//wad it up and I do a circuit every nowe and again. You can also use purpose made glass cleaners that you can get from the pet shops

I use an old sponge from the filter (cleaned) to wipe of any goo works a treat and I know its safe, less waste in the rubbish. I also use it to protect the roots of plants (but thats another story)

So it is safe to wipe it off? I wont be taking any bateria away or polluting the water?

Do you mean the white deposits that form at the water-line? Or do you mean the green/brown algae that grows on the glass?

I find the sponge catches what you wipe off (as long as you dont squish it) ...any time you clean anything in your tank you will be removing good bacteria if you have a good 'bacteria store' for example a filter (or the rest of the equipment water ornaents etc) then just removing the goo from the glass will not ruin the chemistry of the tank in other words as long as you dont clean everything else at the same time you clean the glass you will be fine. If you are really worried just clean it from the area of glass needed to view the axies.

White deposits at the water line what is this as I have never had such a thing myself so I am just talking about brown goo.

I have a white 'tide' mark in my old tank, I assumed it was something on the mineral line that has been deposited, got a new tank set up now so no new line yet....

I usually just clean the front of my tank. I've got a long-handled scrubber to get way down in the bottom.

Do you mean the white deposits that form at the water-line? Or do you mean the green/brown algae that grows on the glass?

The green/brown algae that grows on the glass!

Another question for you kids : we need to change the sponge in our filter - any special preperation or actions we need to follow? Should we do more frequent water changes under the new sponge is cycled?

We never changed the sponges in our filters, once a month we check the sponges and take them out and rinse them in tankwater (never on a waterchange day though) we never squeeze them out.

The tank he is in at the moment, has a Rena Filstar Iv 2 filter and the sponge definately needs changed - the filter is barely doing its job now! We try cleaning it but it makes very little difference!

I ordered a new sponge yesterday!

Should I wash it in tank water before putting it into the filter?

i did the same thing as many other people posted here, just used an old sponge from an old filter and wiped the glass off. i took out the plants and ornaments out including my axies to clean the bottom of the tank aswell. then change the water only like 30% still, put the ornaments and things back in their place and let the filter run after ive filled it with dechlorinated water. wait untill the tank turns room temperature, then the axies go in and there its all done.

ive only done this once in two months or more.

Should I wash it in tank water before putting it into the filter?
i dont see why you have to? but if it worries you then go right ahead. i didnt wash the brand new one and my axies are fine. mind you i havent even bought a new one yet.

After years of messing around with sponges and stuff, I found the most amazing little gadget.
It's called MAG FLOAT patented floating magnet aquarium cleaner. It's fantastic!! (I hope it's OK to mention brands on here! If not, I do apologise.)
It is basically 2 magnets. One on the inside of the glass and one on the outside.
The inside magnet had a slightly abrasive side that touches the algae/glass. The outside magnet has a smooth felt on it so it doesn't scratch the glass.
Basically you hold the outside magnet and move it around the tank and the magnet on the inside obviously follows it around with it's abrasive side cleaning the glass as it goes.
It takes seconds and it is really effective. You can buy different size Mag Floats. Huge ones for big tanks and small ones for little tanks.
I keep mine in the tank all the time, so if I'm passing the tank and see a bit of green, I just get rid of it immediately. I highly recommend it!

Ross, I have the Filstar 2 as well. LOVE IT!

I use two coarse sponges and 2 fine sponges. I usually rinse one pair (one coarse and one fine) every other week, and rotate them, so they all get cleaned about once a month, and at no point is the whole filter cleaned.

That being said, I only occasionally scrub the front of the tank, and the sides are left alone. I also rarely scrub the plants in the tank (silk). So I'm not worried about cycling. I also have lots of ceramic rings in the filter, so mini-cycles are practically unheard of.

Ross, I have the Filstar 2 as well. LOVE IT!

I use two coarse sponges and 2 fine sponges. I usually rinse one pair (one coarse and one fine) every other week, and rotate them, so they all get cleaned about once a month, and at no point is the whole filter cleaned.

They must be different models of the Filstar 2 because my sponge is just one tube.

Is the Filstar 2 and the Filstar Iv 2 maybe different filters?

Perhaps. But if your filter just has one sponge, yes it's fine to clean it. If it's small, it won't have much bacteria growing on it anyway.

Perhaps. But if your filter just has one sponge, yes it's fine to clean it. If it's small, it won't have much bacteria growing on it anyway.

Ive tried cleaning it but like I said the water flow is almost non existant so hopefully the new filter arrives sooner rather than later!

Does the filter have a removable impeller? It's like an aquatic fan, and is what actually moves the water. Most filters have impellers that are designed to be removed and cleaned. This may be the source of your filter's sluggishness.

Does the filter have a removable impeller? It's like an aquatic fan, and is what actually moves the water. Most filters have impellers that are designed to be removed and cleaned. This may be the source of your filter's sluggishness.

There is a fan in it (I think) but it cannot be removed!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back