Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How to take better shots woth a regular 6.0 meg

JWERNER

Reaction score
Thanks i_love_necturus.

My problem is not just with the animal but with allot of things I take shots of. Like my tank for instance, the lighting is always just off. I am part of a car forum and I take some sweet shots of my car and of other things out doors but I suck at indoor shots or something.

Ill check out that site.

Who the hell posts something like this?

HOOT :p:talker::proud:

Now whats even funnier is that no body mentioned the culprit in that other thread and I didn't finger anyone, I mentioned no names, but someone obviously has a guilty conscience.:lol:

i_love_necturus

Reaction score
JWERNER, I've had problems with flash as well. I've done many things. I found that if you take a shot close enough the flash usually makes it through the glass to what your photographing. But hey, I'm no photographer so maybe some one with better background could help you.

JWERNER

Reaction score
Here are some other pictures that I have taken in the past with this camera.
l_737cd59ede05a61942f63be7f24a6a3a.jpg

l_16c25e54cb428c1c23db9137ffe66dc0.jpg

l_31a353d7b706d0d07f57d7328f666aae.jpg

They seem to have turned out ok I think especialy compared to ones like this.
l_9b0c0584065655c985d50d0896bd89ae.jpg
:angry:

JWERNER

Reaction score
JWERNER, I've had problems with flash as well. I've done many things. I found that if you take a shot close enough the flash usually makes it through the glass to what your photographing. But hey, I'm no photographer so maybe some one with better background could help you.

I read about this advice here a few days ago and I tried it, It works good but not as well as one woulkd think and I also cant get the whole picture like I preffer.

Thanks everyone.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Jwerner, I think the last picture has too little light. Try using a supplemental light when taking pictures. Flash will probably just wash out your pictures.

JWERNER

Reaction score
Yes, I found him in my apartment on the 4th of July night. I take the fireworks drove him out from the wall cause the display was staged literally next to my apartment. I ironically it is my Favorite of all snakes, especially out of the locals.

I'm working on a permit for him now.

Ed

Reaction score
Ahem, okay folks.... instead of making off comment topics back to someone who is being disruptive let the moderators know and we will deal with it... ignore this hint at your own peril....

Ed

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Back to the photography….

In the last photo of the newt I can’t see any area of the photo that is in focus. This suggests to me that the cameras focal distance can’t cope with taking shots that close (Unless you had shaky hands). Normally most cameras will “beep” when they think they have the shot in focus. Practice taking shots of something newt sized and see how far away you need to be for it to be in focus.

If the camera has a macro function (normally the setting has a picture of a flower) make sure you have it set to this for close up shots.

The main thing to understand is that with most basic point and click cameras many of the actions are automatic and you have little or no control over which part of the photo is in focus or how exposed the picture is. They make all the decisions for you and it’s not always the decision you want. The camera was not designed to take close ups of small animals so you have to figure out it’s limitations and work within them.

JWERNER

Reaction score
The camera was not designed to take close ups of small animals so you have to figure out it’s limitations and work within them.

Thanks for all the help guys, I think that this is my main problem. I think I am trying to hard to get something I cant out of this camera. I have tried everything suggested and this is the only good shot I came up with...

BTW, he seems to have healed well ( I am definitely saying it was a abrasion ) so I put him back in his tank till the water in his new tank has cleared up.

Attachments

• SANY0008 (Large).JPG
    SANY0008 (Large).JPG
    114 KB · Views: 646

Ed

Reaction score
If your camera has an option where it shows what you are looking at on the screen on the back then you can use this to get a better shot as you can tell when you are too close for the lens to focus.
I use this method to get shots and while I take a lot of lousy ones I do get the occasional good one.

Ed

krk11

Reaction score
Hey nice pictures. Looks like I will have to follow Ryans advice too. All my closeups are also out of focus.

Brendonl

Reaction score
Compared to the first two pictures, its as if you have it in automatic mode right? The ISO(film speed) is bumped way up to cope with the low lightning situation you have with your sillymander. Also it went ahead and automatically slowed the shutter speed down to let more light in... If your going to use automatic mode set the camera on something/ make sure your sillymander isn't moving too much also. You should be good. Hope that helps.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1