rough skinned newt not eating or moving much

modelunnn

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all help would greatly be appreciated.....recently my rough skinned newt had a little tail injury and didnt eat for a while i wasnt worried cuz i thought it was just cuz he was healing...now it appears the tail has healed by my newt does not move hardly at all and i havent gotten him to eat for myabe two weeks.....tried variety of things crickets, blackworms earth worms still no avail i read somewhere you could put them in the fridge to bring down their temp dont know if that is a good idea but i think he may be stressed cuz it gets fairly warm for him around75 sometimes even up to 80 i try to keep it cooler but we are having a heat wave with heat indexes around 110 so its tough......wow actually as i write this i put my newt in the fridge for a lil bit with an earth worm just checked and he ate it!!!!!! let me know if this was a good idea or what i shoould try next thank you all

What's your current living situation? House/townhouse/apartment/loft/condo? If you have a basement, that's the ideal place to put a tank to get cooler temperatures. That's what I do and the temperature rarely goes above 74F.

If there's no basement, is air conditioning an option? This would definitely help on those hot days when even we don't feel comfortable.

If those two options are out, it'll tank some thinking about your options. Here's a good page that summarizes most of the cooling methods:

http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cooling.shtml

I hope you can find something that is convenient for you.

so anyone got any thoughts about putting my newt in the fridge even if it is briefly to cool him off?????????

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back