Aqua-terra for tiger sals - step by step

Daniel

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Display Name
Daniel
Some weeks ago I decided to move my 4 tiger sals to a new (and bigger) enclosure. I made the experience that they really love to swim (seems rather unusual) so I decided to give them a bigger aquatic part. The tank is 120x50x50 cm
And thats's how I did it:

Since I made very good experiences with foam usually used for aquarium filters (easy to work with, easy to clean) I tried to do a setup with it and I have to admit I am really pleased with the result :cool:

For one side I used several plates of foam (each 5 cm high) and cut them to size and shape I wanted them.

Becken_boden.jpg

To give it a more natural look, I faced the visible parts with some aquarium gravel using silicone to stick it on. I cut out the upper part of the foam and filled it with cocos fibre to create a digging-area (which is almost never used by the sals).

Becken_rechts.jpg

As for the water part I had the idea to build a combination of wellspring and water-filter (this thing was rather tricky to build and I don't think this will be my masterpiece by the look of it ;) ). On the inside there is a water pump encased in some more foam.

Brunnen.jpg

Well, and that's it: I finally added some moss and peaces of cork bark as a hideaway.

Becken_Vollansicht.jpg

...front view. Water part is 10 cm deep.

Becken_Vorderansicht.jpg

So now I am able to watch some underwater-tigers, too:

Unterwassertiger_1.jpg

...and who wants to say that tigers are loners? ;)

file_493.jpg

Daniel

Looks really good. What type of foam did you use?

I hope that pumps accessible as I just found out they don't last for ever. I had my filtration Set up like that, I used a pump behind a nice piece of drift wood ( the wood helped to dissolve nutrients while harboring bacteria for my bio filtration ) that resembled a stump barring its roots along a creek shore with a spring flowing over top. I had secured it to the aquarium, now a year or so later the pump took a dump and I need a new set up.

In my experience pumps last much longer than one year. I have several that are over 10 years old. The pump should be accessible so that routine maint. can be performed as needed. The impeller should be removed and cleaned with a pump only toothbrush or small bottle brush. The intake and out flow openings and impeller chamber should also be cleaned. If you have a foam dam on the inlet side that should be rinsed when dirty and replaced when icky (technical term). I generally find that I neglect the pumps unless I do it as part of the monthly water change and media replacement (for tanks with filters).

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I like your set-up. Nice job on the photo's as well.

The foam I used is made of Polyurethan-Ether, usually used for aquarium and pool filters. It should be reticulated (meaning it has open pores) so that there as a water transportation possible. This way moss and tigers get enough humidity.

The pump can easily be removed at the bottom of this "well" for cleaning purposes but a already recognized a decrease in efficiency after some weeks. I will have to check whats the reason.

I like that set up. I have a small tip for your pump as well. What I used to do was un plug the pump when doing a water change and stick the nozzle of a small plastic tire or basket ball pump ( small handheld ) into the tubbing of the spring and blast free any thing in it and suck it all up with my water change. Of course this didn't help with any scum or other such build up that have occurred. But this will help you take a break from constantly taking it apart and clearing it out with every single water change.:cool:

I have to look into that foam for my new project, I have already used the hard foam from craft stores to make a back ground for other Reptiles and stuff that I have owned. Looks great and I might use one for this new tank to.

Thanks!

Great setup, nice photos! Won't the cocofibre part become a pile of mud?

Thanks for the compliment.
The cocofibre does not become mud because it is not really wet, but only moistly. Because of the foam beneath it a big part of the water seeps down if poured onto the fibre. On the other hand this foam has some kind of capillary forces working therefore some small amounts of water are also transported from the bottom to the soil, keeping it humid.

Foam

Where do you buy the foam and how much was it. Im interested in making a simular tank

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back