Tiger Salamnder Vs Mandarin Newt

jfw60

Reaction score
Country
United States
Can a full size Tiger salamander be kept in the same enclosure with a mandarin newt. I have read that a mandarin newt's skin contains toxin is it possible for the toxin to affect my tiger salamander?

:confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
No. Tiger salamanders will attempt to swallow pretty much anything that moves and a full grown tiger would most likely easily be able to swallow a Tylototriton shanjing. Size considerations aside, It is not good to mix different salamander species together in most any case. Also, the two species that you are asking about are from different areas of the world. I'm certain that both are most likely wild caught and can potentially be carrying various pathogens that the other animal would have little to no resistance to. In addition, T. shanjing are only sporadically available and when they are they are collected in huge numbers from the wild. Every effort should be made to establish breeding groups instead of keeping an individual as a pet.
Chip

I think you mean to ask if a tiger salamander (A. tigrinum) can be caged with a mandarin newt (T. shanjing)? If that's your question, the answer is no, those two species should not be caged together. Tigers grow significantly larger than manadrin newts, and should that Tiger ever feel the need to eat the mandarin, it would likely result in the deaths of both. Other cons include the introduction of dangerous pathogens to one another, the slightly different needs in their captive environment, and the stress that may be caused by one another.

Beat me by seconds, Chip! Nontheless, I think we're on the same page here. :)

Yeah I have had this happen a time or two before Jeff. So true about being on the same page but for that matter I would hate to think that an experienced keeper would chime in and condone this mix!
Chip

perhaps its time to draw up a Ten Commandments of Caudate Care?
Commandment one: do not mix species.
I think that's the most consistent piece of advice on this whole site.

I again agree that it is almost never a good idea to mix species, especially since the overwhelming majority of "can I mix" questions are asking about various petstore amphibians that cannot be mixed together. With that being said I have always thought that it would be fun to attempt mixes of certain animals in very large enclosures. For example I have found various local species together under the same cover in the woods (such as slimeys, redbacks, and longtaileds). I have fancied the idea of setting up a large enclosure as a community for some of these species. Also, it seems that one could conceivably house Echinotriton andersoni and Cynops e. popei together seeing as how they are found in the same habitat in the wild (from what I've read anyway). Not that I would ever risk this with my animals, but it's just food for thought.
Chip

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back