Overweight And Markings

tashie7161

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Tasha
Just wondering krystals becoming a rather big girlie, was thinking can she actually get fat? or do their metabolisms just keep adjusting? i know they can become too thin. Krystal is adult now but I'm still feeding her daily, i should probably cut that down, shes on worms and she loves it. Also on shes a white with black eyes (i know what the word is, just can never remember how to spell it!) is it normal for them to have symmetrical markings? shes got lovely markings going into a pair of dots right the way down her back, and on her face the pattern is the same either side. Sounds odd but Follie never had any, she was completely white.

Last edited:
Yeah, I think they can get fat, and I saw a post on here about them "bloating" (although from what I've read this isn't anything to do with overfeeding) someone had some real problems. ...maybe she is full of eggs - how old is she?

i had her at about 2 inches, and shes about 7 inches now and i've had her at least 2 months. Shes not overweight, its just i was wondering, cause obv. im going to have to cut her feed down a bit.

I feed mine all the time (probably over feed them), not really had a problem with them being too fat ~ if I find a load of worms for example; I just throw them in. They're usually gone within a couple of hours :)

She does sound lovely, and it would be great to see her!. I had originally wanted the white with dark eyes.
With regards to her size I would think that they can get over weight, I suspect my female would eat any thing put in front of her .I feed mine now every other day or so 1 worm each or equivelent , my male is just touching 12 inches now and is over a year old( previous owner had said he was about 10 months old)

Axolotl definitely can become too fat, even their organs may become fat (and therefore may fail finally).
In my opinion you should cut down the feeding of an 7 inches to every other day, even thrice a week would be enough.

There are far more axolotls out there being too fat than being too thin.

I have never seen a fat axlotl, are there any photos around of a fat one? I feed mine pretty regularly, though I wouldn't call them fat. A little comparison material would help.

Hi Tasha,

Axies can get fat, If you are certain its not bloating or impaction then eggs or too much food could be the cause.

Thier metabolism changes with the seasons. It slows with cooler temperatures and they require less food. They will of course eat as much as you can give them regardless of this metabolic change.

In spring and Summer we feed every second day in Winter and Autumn every third day.

You could try feeding less but it may take a while to see any results and dont worry axies can go for a long time without food so you wont be harming her.

Best of luck

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back