Question...

ZebraDruid

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey, I was wondering, would it be safe to have a Slimy Salamander and a Three Lined salamander in the same tank (20 gallon)? My newt died bit ago >_< (he was doing so well too), and I caught both the new salamanders in the same exact creek (about two feet apart if you want to be specific), (the tank has been washed, of course) and I know that the Slimys produce a lot of slime so yeah... Any help would be nice =D

Are you sure that it was a slimey? I have found lots of them locally but they have always been in wooded areas under logs and so forth. The golden rule of mixing salamander species is to not do it. If you have limited experience with salamanders I would definitely not suggest attempting the mix. If you are experienced then perhaps it would be possible?? I personally do not know enough about the behaviors of either species to comment on it with any authority but perhaps some others could chime in.
Chip

Yeah, the "Golden Rule" was the reason I asked, seeing as the locations I found them at were both almost literally right next to each other (again with around two feet closeness). Heck, a SECOND three lined (I didn't catch this one since I already had one) actually ran under a rock leaning against the bank of the creek and I turned it over and the second three lined had run into the Slimy's hole XD
For a second I thought I had found a marble salamander (darn!). But anyways... They both act pretty much the same, as in hide in any crevice they can fit in, and I don't have a substrate (unless you want to count glass as a substrate 0.o ) so being types of mole salamanders (NOT the species of mole salamander, I mean the classification they are under, like tigers and marbled) the only thing they CAN do is get in crevices... (I really do want a substrate, just can't get one atm). I'm almost 100% positive they are eating the crickets I put in the tank, seeing as they (the crickets) vanish.

But anyways, any help or attempted help is appriciated!

If there is enough size difference the slimey will eat the three lined. Even if there is not that much size difference many plethodontid salamanders are agressive to one another and tend to bite each other on the snout to injure the naso-labial groove which can inhibit the other salamander's ability to feed...

Ed

I've watched them a lot and anytime they get near each other, I see no aggression (hopefully it will stay like this), and actually, the three lined is about 1" 1-1/2" longer than the slimy (the three lined is a kind of long tailed salamander (yay for the national a-something field guide!) so it'll prolly always be longer than the slimy, so no slimy eating the three lined! yay! ...Unless the slimy has some weird kind of growth spurt and grows like 10" >.>

Thanks for the comments =D

I would consider this mixing-experiment a risk nevertheless. Why not just keep one species and bring the second back to where you found it?

Slimy salamanders get significantly bigger than three lines salamanders... see http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Plethodon/P_glutinosus.shtml

You can't use the tail length as part of what determines who eats who but you have to use the size of the head and body...

As these are nocturnal caudates, unless you are observing them with night vision gear throughout the night you have no idea as to the interactions between the two. In addition, the agression may not occur until the animals become established and the stress threshold has lowered.

Ed

Yeah, that's true, haven't watched them as much in the dark, though I've watched them a bit (not a lot though XD) (0.o watched them with a black light), can't say it's enough though =/. And I don't think any Slimy eating Three Lined is possible, the Three Lined salamander's body is about four inches long, the slimy's is about two and a half. Though now I think I probably will take the three lined back, I don't find it as interesting as the slimy, though I still think it's really interesting =P. The three lined isn't the kind of salamander I wanted anyways, I like big fat ones like the slimy XD. Ah well, thanks for the help! It's really appreciated.

Oh and one more thing, I got home a bit ago and my cat had an eastern fence lizard, and I got the lizard away from him and the only injury I could find was a small puncture/scratch on it's stomach, and seeing as it's a small animal AND cat claws, it's probably much worse than it looks. I currently have it in one of those plastic tanks that looks about 3-5 gallons, on some slightly damp paper towels (no ink), in a semi-dark area (small hand towels placed on the tank, can still get air circulation though). I was wondering, is there anything else I can do for this lizard? It seems to be in a state where it's in shock, but it's aware of its surroundings or something like that. And also, this tank hasn't had any of my salamanders in it, and it was washed prior to putting the lizard in, so it should be pretty safe from any of those specie bacteria...HOPEFULLY. And yes, I know this isn't a reptile site, but I don't know where else to look =/

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back