what to put in

lmpt

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Its a 90g tank I just finished building. I was thinking about some dart frogs, but havint been able to find any localy at a resonable price.

So I was thinking some sort of newt or salamander, or another relitivly avalible frog. So heres a pic let me know what you think.

IMG_0049.jpg

That's a gorgeous setup!

As far as salamanders and newts are concerned, you'd have to keep the tank cool enough for them, which would probably mean the death of tropical plants.

In order to make some suggestions:

What temperatures can you maintain the tank at, winter and summer?

What foods can you maintain a constant supply of? (fruitflies for dartfrogs?)

i read somewere(i think Reptiles magazine) that mossy frogs need a big water source, perhaps u can get some of those...

thanks to all for the comments

For food Iam not overly concerend I live down the street form a pet store. So I can get just about any form of insect.

I have been looking at the mossy frogs I know the store close to me had some in the other day.
Iam sure they will still be there.

My main concern right now is the temp. For some reason my tank is staying at around 75 to 86 degres durring the day.

I have half glass top and half screen so there is lots of circulation. I will have to build the other side into screen.

Even if you can bring down the temperature, I'd be a little nervous putting newts into that tank. The newts are likely to hide in the plants/moss somewhere, and it would be difficult to know for sure if they are alive and eating well.

Iam still leaning for frogs. I just can't find a animal that would like the type of tank I have. If I can't find some thing sutable I will have to keep it just with plants. I dont want to try out diferent animals and lose a bunch. So more reading on the net.

As far as I can tell the mossy frogs are best suited for the tank but I will keep looking.

Firebelly toads (bombina orientalis) should be fine there...plus they are rather active and would use the whole tank.

Realy I always thought that fire belly toads were like the fire belly newts. They were a bit cooler frog.

But I will have to do some research.

ok so after some reading I think I have made up my mind. It will be fire belly toads.

Nice simple and readly avalible.

Thank you all.

Yeah, Bombina Orientalis experience very hot summers in their range, so they should be fine. Can you post some pic's of them enjoying their new home when you get them?

I just got 5 frogs in the tank tonight and will let them get used to the new tank befor I start snapping pic. I had a little filter malfunction this after noon so they are a little spooked right now. But by the weekend they should be ready for some pics.

So I have been trying to get some good pics of the frogs I just cant seem to get a good shot.

So here are some pics of the fire bellys, I have decided to evict my wifes cactus farm from my hex and get her a new 50g for the catcuses.

The hex will house some manttelas.
IMG_0050.jpg

Thanks for the follow-up. They should be quite happy in that tank!

Thank you, I just now trying to figure out how to get them to mate. Any one have any experiance with this.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back