Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

restless morph

mp2952

Reaction score
i moved my recent morph into a different tank. his old enlcoser was smaller and it had moss laid on top of gravel with plants and a cave. now i just have gravel, but i still put in a cave and plants. he hasn't gone into the cave and he walks around the tank like he is looking for some place to go. i thought he was hungry, but he has yet to eat since he morphed a week ago. do juveniles prefer moss? i didn't think he cared about it, but if it makes a difference, i'll put some back in his tank.

Daniel

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Some morphs like to dig and hide somewhere, so maybe he is really looking for some moss. Just give it a try and you will see whether it makes any difference.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Why are you using gravel as a substrate? The first time I made a terrestrial setup, I tried doing it with wet gravel. This was a disaster; it stank. I now have the opinion that soil-type substrates are actually a whole lot "cleaner", ironically. If you want to know more, please ask, I need to get offline at this moment, or I'd tell you more...

mp2952

Reaction score
i don't know much about soil and i'm kind of stuck at school with only gravel. i just used it because that's what i'm familiar with. where could i get good soil to use? and also, when can i expect my morph to start eating again? he morphed on the 18th. i know they don't eat for usually week or more, but this is my first time raising larvae, so i get worried about every little thing.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can use standard top soil sold in bags at the garden centre or hardware store. Make sure you buy a brand that is free from any additives (pesticides, fertilizers etc). If you’re lucky you’ll find one that is both organic and sterilized.

A number of keepers on the forum mix coco-fibre (the sort you can buy in compressed blocks from pet shops) into the top soil as it improves water retention. I personally go for straight top soil.

Avoid peat based soils.

Hope that helps.
Mark

mp2952

Reaction score
oh, i could get that then. i thought it would have to be some special ordered soil. would i have to clean it the same as gravel and sand before use?

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Be sure you don't get "potting soil", just plain top soil. You don't have to clean it. Another option is soil-type products ("jungle mix" and such) sold at pet stores. These are overpriced, but work well. Another virtue of soil substrate is that the tank rarely needs cleaning; soil does a great job of breaking down waste naturally (which wet gravel doesn't).

mp2952

Reaction score
hopefully this weekend i can go out to get top soil with no fertilizers or pesticides. thanks for all the advice.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1